cutting tool name

dumb question here.

I've completely forgot the name for the type or profile of a cutter you'd use in a lathe or mill for gouging a circular channel.

It's thinner than a boring bar, you'd use it to cut a hole into a plate or something like that. The cutter is somewhat circular to approximate the diameter of the hole you're cutting. I need to grind one.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Trepanning?

Reply to
Pete C.

that's it, thanks. I know this was discussed here before, but I had no way to locate the thread.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

"D" bit?

Ball end mill?

Hole saw?

The thing that punched this hole?

The steel is Yamato-class battleship turret armor.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

trepanning tool or bit was the answer.

Speaking of end mills, I did just make a replacement knob for something on the mill with with a rotary table. It's fairly interesting to make parts at about 1 hour per dollar of actual replacement part prices.

What's the story of that thing?

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Man! I've BEEN to that rest area... only now I can't remember where it was... near Savannah, GA? (nah... that doesn't ring any bells)...

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

It's turret face armor meant for the third Yamato super-battleship, IJN "Shinano" before she was converted to a carrier. A US 16" gun shot through it, barely, under test conditions more favorable than it likely would see in battle.

The Japanese super battleships were a complete waste. Carrier planes sunk Musashi, destroyer torpedos chased Yamato out of the action in the Phillipines, Shinano was lost to poor judgement after light torpedo damage, then aircraft finished off Yamato.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

So this was captured battleship armor that was used for testing by the us?

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

It was likely a war prize sent home to show the factory teams what their work has been doing on the high seas.

Mart> Jim Wilk>>>>

Reply to
Martin Eastburn