Filling 5/8 holes with stick

Hi; I need to fill 3 holes that are 5/8" dia in 1/4 mild steel. I only have a stick welder. I will need to re-drill through the area to correct the hole locations. What has worked best for you (using only arc welder),would welding in a bolt and grinding it flush be too dificult to re-drill through ? Thanks Bead_runner

Also cross posted to welding group

Reply to
bead_runner

This one's easy. Cut a *larger* hole (torch? plasma? hole saw?) and make a piece that fits in there. Fit it together carefully and weld it in place. You can grind the welds smooth if it matters, but if strength is an issue leave them there. Then re-machine your hole. - GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Useing a NiCad nickle rod would make easy drilling....

Reply to
kbeitz

Seems to me this would be easy to plug weld. I would use a copper back-up plate. Weld around the ID of the hole and continue with a circular motion until hole is filled. Flip over, chip flux and repeat on the back side if necessary. Grind flush.

Mill

Reply to
MP Toolman

Is 1/2 rebar from home depot difficult to drill through(1/4" slice). I may use rebar for a hole filler. Bead_runner

Reply to
bead_runner

Is 1/2 rebar from home depot difficult to drill through(1/4" slice). I may use rebar for a hole filler. Bead_runner

Reply to
bead_runner

Is 1/2 rebar from home depot difficult to drill through(1/4" slice). I may use rebar for a hole filler. Bead_runner

Reply to
bead_runner

Well ... you've asked this enough times. If you are using google, you should be warned that it takes a *long* time for something posted on google to become visible there. We'll all see it long before you do.

As for rebar -- I don't know about welding it, but what I understand is that it tends to be almost anything, not a known grade of steel, so it could be anything from butter soft to near diamond hard after welding.

I would personally suggest that you find a good known mild steel for the task.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Don't even /think/ about using rebar for anything else than it's intended purpose as concrete reinforcement.

Rebar is like the "Mystery Meat" at your school cafeteria - remelted scrap metal that comes from many different sources like appliances, car bodies and engine blocks. It has wildly variable metallurgy (even at opposite ends of the same finished piece), and usually can't be welded - unless you pay extra for weldable rebar.

Fill the hole with weld metal (wire or stick) and at least you know what the filler metal is. Or use a slug cut from a length of steel bar stock.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman