D1-4 removal?

Ok, I give up: how does one remove the chuck? I found the three square-driven locks (I think) and turned them CCW. I felt what might have been a release in the center of the turn; perhaps I retightened by going past it??? Anyway, a gentle tug was not enough. Do I need to give it whack like an R8 tool? If so, where?

BTW, the lathe is still pallet-bound. I think I am close to being able to sling it, and am headed out for proper cribbing before the attempt.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Schwab

You'd want them turned about halfway as you found out.

Your sling should go in between the headstock and the chuck. So don't take of the chuck off yet.

Wayne D.

Reply to
Wayne

There "should" be indexing marks for release. You might need to whack it with a soft face hammer, tend to bind up - especially if its had the tacky sticky protective grease "stuff" sprayed on prior to shipping...

Andrew VK3BFA.

Reply to
vk3bfa

Yep, then whack the chuck with a rubber mallet.

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Yes, you can go past it. Should be able to *feel* it click about 1/2 way.

Not before you place a piece of plywood on th' ways. After you turn th' locks 1/2 way CCW and tap it with a rubber hammer, it'll pop right off. You don't want that chuck landing on th' ways!

I've yet to see what size/brand lathe you bought. I'm assuming it's a

12 x 36 Clausing style, yes? FWIW, I put mine (new 12 x 36 Central Machinery) on th' cabinets/stands using an engine hoist, sans cribbing, by myself. Took about an hour and went slick as snot. Be happy to 'splain it to ya if you want.

Snarl... tryin' to catch up in here

Reply to
snarl

This might be a good time to make a wooden block that slides on the ways and almost reaches the chuck. The classy ones are curved to fit the chuck but mine just has blocks nailed on top and bottom. Ideally when you place the chuck on this block and push it up to the spindle you can rotate chuck or spindle to align the camlock pins and slide the chuck right on. And when you loosen the chuck it doesn't fall and damage the ways or your hand.

Jim Wilkins

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I didn't like th' idea of doing it that way; ie, weight of th' machine suspended by th' headstock bearings. It's prolly just fine, but I used some soft ties in th' casting holes of th' bed instead. Moved th' cross slide to balance it after removing th' tailstock, tool post, and chuck. That thing picked dead nuts level with an engine hoist.

I did have to put some counter weight on th' back of th' hoist tho. And I put a safety line from th' hoist to th' ends of th' lathe to keep it square and unable to swing around. Worked great!

Snarl... IMHO, YMMV, and all that jazz

Reply to
snarl

Support it firmly by hand & place some wood below on the bed, they can sometimes drop in a hurry and damage fingers or the lathe bed.

Reply to
Den

Wayne.... I don't believe you told him to hoist the lathe by the spindle. How to ruin a lathe in one simple step. Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

Bill did you not get a manual with the lathe or no info on the D1-4 camlock chuck release. I can scan the details for my Harrison M300 if you want. The M300 details basically shows an alignment mark on the cam piece and the spindle has a release mark at 12 o'clock when looking at the cam piece. When these are aligned the chuck can be removed. The spindle also has an arrow at 3 o'clock and 6 o'clock and the cam piece alignment mark must sit between these marks for proper retainment of the chuck. Also noted is that the M300 has a mark on the spindle and the chuck should be marked so that the chuck always goes back at the same place. If the cam piece alignment mark isn't between the arrows the camlock studs must be screwed in or out as appropriate so that the alignment mark falls between the arrows.

Reply to
David Billington

Its done every day. The only time Ive seen a bent spindle, was when someone nailed the chuck from the side with a forklift at a good clip.

Gunner, machine tool repair dood, who has hoisted lathes with slings between the spindle and the tailstock end many times, with no ill effects.

Gunner Asch

Steve,

I questioned that when watched a sheldon lathe 50 feet up in the air. I thought that would be bad. Later I question my dealer about it. I was told to think about the forces involved cutting metal. I've move 3 lathes this way without any issues.

Wayne D.

Reply to
Wayne