Day at the Auction Rant

Hey Gerald,

Sounds like a "Gardner" auction.

Take care.

Brian Laws>>

Reply to
Brian Lawson

I moved away from Maine to get away from those awful Maine winters. I still consider myself a "Mainiac" though. You live in an awfully nice part of the state.

Earle Rich Mont Vernon, New Hampshire

Reply to
ERich10983

No, actually it was one of those they hold periodically at what used to be the Carousel Motel, now the Best Western Lamplighter. As I understand it, this used to be the biggest "house of ill repute" in town (prior to my coming here in 1962), so I guess people are still getting screwed there. You wouldn't know the place since the latest round of renovations. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Too bad they rebuilt the stretch of road from Bangor to Calais. The first time I drove it, I left Bangor with less than a half tank of gas. Was I glad to get to Calais and fin a gas station! Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Route 9 or "The Airline" as they call it. I've only been about half way up to Calais (pronounced callous, not like "ca lay" as in France).

Nice drive, almost hard to believe there is much reason for living in a lot of the places along there. There are still a lot of people living up there "off the grid" (with no utilities).

But Route 9 is a decent enough two lane highway with plenty of passing lanes. There is one fairly short but very brutal 12 percent grade a little west of the locally famous "Airline Snackbar" that will get your attention. You probably saw the gasoline prices at the Snackbar and decided to wait for something cheaper, right?

It is the major truck pipeline into eastern Canada and a lot of people would like to see it be a four lane freeway all the way from I-95 at Bangor but the economics will probably never let that happen.

Reply to
Jack Erbes

Reply to
Gerald Miller