Delta scroll saw pivot bushes

Picked up a botttom-of-the-line unit, quite a lot of slop side to side, of the blade. Discovered that the arm is pivoted at the rear of the saw, with roughly 1/4 inch stub shafts in brass/bronze bushes. Turned the bushes 90 degrees which improved it greatly, but it strikes me that this is a pretty crappy arrangement and subject to early deterioration.

Suggestions for other materials or arrangements? What do the Hegners of this world use? / mark

Reply to
Mark

Probably the best solution they had to keep costs down - make new bushings, and maybe new pins. If possible, you may be able to machine in room for small ball bearings to ride on the pins..... Ken.

Reply to
Ken Sterling

Because the saw appears virtually unused, I'm assuming the bushes died an early death, didn't want to piss around every few running hours making new ones. Someone rejected the ball bearing idea as the travel is only a few degrees and they would wear a groove very quickly....

The pins are hardened and show no wear, and there seems to be room for small dia. ball bearings. Other suggestions? thanks / mark

Ken Sterl>>Picked up a botttom-of-the-line unit, quite a lot of slop side to side,

Reply to
Mark

Hey Mark,

Under the "any other ideas" heading, if there is room for a "bearing", or even a proper bronze bushing, then there is usually a Torrington needle bearing that can be used. Very thin wall things. Even the

45 degrees that the saw pivots is enough for those to "work" a lot.

Take care.

Brian Laws>Because the saw appears virtually unused, I'm assuming the bushes

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Good idea, Brian - good example would be the needle bearings used in common driveshaft u-joints in rear drive vehicles - not much movement, but they last for a long time. Torrington's come in many sizes and he may even be able to simply knock out the bushing and press in the Torrington - unless your luck is like mine :-) Ken.

Reply to
Ken Sterling