Diacro #12 hand shear reassembly

I have a Diacro hand shear (12" table model) that was badly in need of cleaning. It was completely frozen up.

I've completed the cleaning and am now ready to reassembvle the unit.

The 2 main supporting columns are roughly 1" in diameter and must be press-fit into the base. Each one is aligned with a taper pin. The design of the unit requires that both columns be pressed into the base at the same time. Once pressed into place, the taper pins are inserted. I doubt that it would be possible to turn either column in the event I got the orientation of the taper pin holes wrong.

So how would you align the columns initially such that the taper pin holes lined up with their counterparts in the base prior to being pressed?

Gary

Note: I used a 20-ton press to separate the columns from the base during disassembly which seemed to be the smallest amount of force needed to do the job.

Reply to
grice

How did the welder work out for you?

Gunner

Political Correctness

Gunner

I completed the sub-panel wiring and power cord replacement yesterday. The welding helmet and leather jacket arrived a couple of days ago.

I'll be trying the welder out for the first time shortly.

Gary

Reply to
grice

I completed the sub-panel wiring and power cord replacement yesterday. The welding helmet and leather jacket arrived a couple of days ago.

I'll be trying the welder out for the first time shortly.

Gary

Reply to
grice

Cool. I think you will be happy with it. Keep in touch.

Gunner

Political Correctness

Gunner

I suspect it may be very difficult or impossible since most of these pin holes seem to be drilled and reamed after assembly. You might explore whether you can heat the base and/or freeze the columns to allow a few seconds of movement while you get the pins in. you may have to just get it close and either re-ream the holes for larger pins or drill and ream new holes.

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young