DIY coffins

Woodwork, not metalwork, but interesting:

Leon

Reply to
Leon Heller

Damn good idea IMHO! Maybe I had better start work on mine, I could always use it as a tool chest until I need to wear it ;-).

Reply to
Larry Green

Yeah, and dig-yer-own-grave, for perfect abs, fitness, and health! Save on club memberships.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 17:50:45 -0400, the inscrutable Larry Green spake:

And by then it'd have that lovely, familiar, machine-oil smell!

They have some conflicting info there, though. "No plastics or metals", but they have you glue it together and hold it with screws. Most wood glues are plastic- or animal-based.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

They claim they use biodegradable, non-toxic wood glue. They do not claim the coffin to be Vegan so the glue might very-well be animal-based. (Do I smell a niche market opening up: caskets made with starch-based glue? Hmmm...)

You're partially correct about the misstatement on metals. They claim: "No plastic or metal whatsoever is used in the manufacturing process or left in the assembled product"

Actually, metal screws are used in the manufacturing process (they are used to hold the coffin together while the glues sets). But they instruct you to (optionally) remove the screws after the glue has dried (presumably, for those who really want a metal-free casket).

But since when is metal not natural nor biodegradable? I say: "Earth to Earth, Ashes to Ashes, Dust to Dust, Metal to Rust." (It even rhymes off the tongue!)

- Michael

Reply to
DeepDiver

IIRC if one is intent of following strict Jewish tradition, a "Kosher Casket" has to be all wood, no metal. The one we buried my mom in was made that way, I had a look at it and there were some wood dowels holding the joints together. It also had some holes about 3" diameter bored right through the bottom. That's to allow moisture to enter and speed the return of the corpse to the earth.

Here is an interesting wooden casket I just Googled up. Click on "Assembly" at the bottom of the page to see how it goes together with no fasteners or glue, sort of like a wooden puzzle, 'eh?

I think my persona is better suited to departing in this casket:

And, I'd like the back side of my tombstone to have these two short words carved into it:

HA HA

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 21:08:38 -0400, the inscrutable Jeff Wisnia spake:

I don't even want to KNOW anyone that anal. ;)

Good'un.

I thought "Kosher" meant "all beef".

Classy joinery: all sliding dovetails. I -like- it!

Red and blue stripes on a brown paper bag casket? Tres gauche.

What about the front?

For my end, have a nice Irish wake, then burn me and toss my ashes into the sea to feed the fishies. (I know, I'd no longer be of any food value. Instead, I'm donating my body to science fiction.)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The one the pope was put in - that is the one that is going to sell big time!!

Ken (plant me not)

Reply to
Ken Davey

"Leon Heller" wrote in news:42583aea$0$292 $ snipped-for-privacy@news-text.dial.pipex.com:

At one time in the recent past Rockler Woodworking had all the hardware to make a casket in their catalog. I didn't see in the last few catalogs. They must have gotten some PC complaints.

Reply to
Ken Moffett

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 10:58:37 GMT, Ken Moffett wrote something ......and in reply I say!:

So whatever happened to the good ol "pine box" anyway?

****************************************************************************************** WHY _ARE_ WE HERE?

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music

!!

Reply to
Old Nick

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 10:58:37 GMT, Ken Moffett wrote something ......and in reply I say!:

They ARE the good ol Pine Box!

****************************************************************************************** WHY _ARE_ WE HERE?

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music

!!

Reply to
Old Nick

Theory has it the undertakers have the largest and most organized political lobbies that has no real opposition. Things like underground vaults that prevent seepage to prevent hepatitis in ground water go unopposed. More complicated means more money.

BUT, there was an article in mother earth news on building your own casket and having a natural funeral.

Old Nick wrote:

Thank goodness! I was just about to buy an IKEA cof-n, this will be much nicer.

Reply to
Ben Jackson

Presumably the eco lobby has outlawed lead ones. Martin

Reply to
Martin Whybrow

Hey, does Harbor Freight carry coffins?

Reply to
Tony

Y'sure you'd want to go to your afterlife in a box made by them? Might break when you're halfway there and well... :-p

Tim

-- "California is the breakfast state: fruits, nuts and flakes." Website:

Tim Williams

Im reminded of a funeral I attended in the early 70s, where a friends rather obese mom passed.

As the pall bearers were carrying her down the steps to the hearse, for the last ride to the marble orchard..the bottom came out of the coffin.

Mom beat the pall bearers to the hearse by a significant amount of time.

thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa (snip more thumps..about 25 stairs) Crash.

She didnt seem to mind much, but the litigation went on for a few years.

Gunner

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem. To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized, merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

Reply to
Gunner

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 22:59:00 -0400, the inscrutable "Tony" spake:

--top posting corrected--

No, but they have this nifty DIY cremation kit:

---------------------------------- VIRTUE...is its own punishment

Reply to
Larry Jaques

how about this kiln? long enough for wilt:

Charles Spitzer