DIY-DRO: progress with YADRO

Hi!

You thought that YADRO came to a standstill? No, I have been using it now for more than a month on my mill and wouldn't bark about it if it wouldn't be good. :-)

  • I have got a PCB in the meantime. It is decribed (together with the files needed to let them etch or even etch them yourself). The files therefore can be found in part 3. Also find a BOM for the parts needed. Also in this part, programming the uC is a bit better described and a link to a programmer that consists of just 5 resistors can be found.

  • Added is a part 5 that briefly describes how I put the scales to my mill and how I protected them from the chips and cooling fluid that would ruin them.

  • Also, minor changes were made to the software. I consider it stable now, I had no crashes within a lot of hours (nearly completed a 4 stroke engine with it).

If someone in the US is willing to make a handful of PCBs and ship them within the US, he should contact me.

Oh! The link! :-))

Enjoy!

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Geez... fantastic work!

Lots of hours to make this DRO... whew!

Hate to say it but it might be easier/less expensive to buy a used DRO, as nice as this project is...

And, love that "cubic" engine!

Oddly enough, right before I got back in today and read THIS thread I went over to "Bargain Outlet" a place that sells assorted close out building materials and related products (nice prices too!) to look for some low voltage "under the shelf" lights... but I didn't find any. I found a spray can of John Deere yellow spray paint (good since I have a JD lawn tractor of significant vintage), some really nice all stainless chinese import pocket knives at a buck a shot (2" blade) and right before I found those, what do I see? An "Electronic Digital Caliper"!!

I looked at the display model and found among other things, a little cover that slid off and covered the same 4 pins as on your unit(s) on ur website? I thought to myself, "hmmmm... an interface? On a caliper??? Wazzup wit dat?" :- )

Anyhow they were 10 bucks USD and I bought me one. It works jes fine!

The sheet shows a model with the other features you showed (hold, max, min etc...) on ur pages with extra buttons. This one doesn't have the extra buttons...

I'm thinkin to myself, what does this readout do for a position sensing arrangement? I see no gear as in ur typical dial caliper... so the thing *must* just ride on a smooth surface with a wheel??? Is that *it*?

What's to stop someone from buying a length of ground stock of the requisite length and mounting the electronics & mechanical part on

*that*?? Instant long DRO??

Will the 6" one keep reading up to some 2 digit above 0.00 limit??

Looks like I've gotta go back and buy one to take apart to see how that part works... Hmmmm....

Reply to
BEAR

Yes, but just for me. I knew that I wanted a DRO. But they were either to expensive or way to stupid. So I made my own that is extremely flexible: I have to mill a cam for a four stroke. So I will write a macro for YADRO that does the math. I will have an RT on the mill and all I have to do is rotate the RT to the next step, adjust height and mill a pass. Rotate, height, pass ... YADRO will prompt me for the next values.

No. Or Yes, if you want. There is no DRO on earth that is flexible like YADRO. And those who have built YADRO had very little work.

That's what they didn't tell you on the package. Funny, but I guess that all digital calipers have that interface.

You can add them, if you need/want.

No, it uses a row of capacitors under the label (on the scales body). I have peeled off the label for you (I had some cutt-off to do that with) and made a photo and have put it on my HP just for you (kidding). You can have a look at here:

Would not work, see above.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

For those interested having a (very electronic) look under the hood/sticker (of a digital caliper), I have added some pictures in part

1 (section "under the sticker"):

Enjoy! Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller