Do not buy a Harbor Freight "rock tumbler"

Brasso also has ammonia in it, which is the active ingredient in a lot of copper fouling bore cleaners. However, it's only at 2-3% You can google the msds. I've used exactly the same thing, Brasso on walnut hulls, for a long time for brass for reloading. I now have some stuff from Dillon.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

What did you get and how does it work?

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Just their Rapid Polish 290, still in my 30 yr. old Thumler's Tumbler. It works at least as good as Brasso, doesn't have the ammonia. They claim it doesn't weaken the brass like Brasso, but I had very few case failures loading .357 brass over and over for years using Brasso. I lost my 50 lb. bag of walnut hulls in a move, so I'm using some Lyman media right now.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Keillor

There cant be a hell of a lot of ammonia in Brasso, as Ive got brass sitting in my 2' vibratory thats been there for over a year, and it was sitting in the tumbler for nearly a year, 3 yrs ago.

Stuff must evaporate fairly quickly.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Pete Keillor wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You can get walnut hull media on the cheap at pet stores. It's called "lizard bedding".

I'm tired of having to fish media out of flash holes, and am thinking about going to ultrasonic. I have a medium sized Branson cleaner (3/4 gal), and there are a number of home brew cleaning solutions on the web. Hornady is now selling both a cleaner & a solution to use with it. Their cleaner is just a re-labeled Gemoro, which you can buy cheaper elsewhere.

Check out:

Doug White

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

Thanks Doug...interesting indeed. Last ultrasonic of a size I could use, was pretty damned expensive, even used, so Ive not investigated them in years.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch
[...]

The last batch I put in a) pieces that were in corn cob before and b) pieces that I cleaned with Brasso by hand - some of them 3 times. The latter still had stains on them. The nut shells did not remove them after 7+ hours (I did not add Brasso to the shells on this occasion). I think you are right about the etching. I shall look for some of the mild plastic media and see what they can do.

On this occasion I am purely trying to find out what the various media will do to various pieces. Eventually I would like to deburr/remove machine marks from steel. I understand that ceramic media are pretty much the ticket but while I am hunting for a cheap source of the ceramics I am playing with whatever is at hand :-)

Reply to
Michael Koblic

I have 3 of them the double barrel ones have had no problem with them I been running rock through them for the last yr and they are still running great. I have had no problem with them.

Reply to
rockhound700

They're also supposed to work really well to ball mill homemade black powder . Out in the far corner of the back yard by the fence and surrounded by sandbags .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

"Terry Coombs" fired this volley in news:mknpap$594$1 @dont-email.me:

Not even close, Terry. The minimum 'correct' load for media to properly ball mill (anything) is 50% full, with 25% of the empty volume in material to be ground.

Typically, amateur BP-makers use hardened lead media -- about 1/2" in diamter for that particular 'tumbler'. When filled with 5lb of that lead, the thing will hardly turn over, much less turn at the optimum speed (about 90rpm) for that 4-7/8" i.d. jar.

It requires re-work of the support bearings AND the motor's being replaced in order to mill continually at the proper speed.

Some of those folks who report that "it works fine" are also reporting milling times as long as 24 hours. At the proper speed and charging factors, it will produce better-than-commercial BP in 2-1/2 to 4 hours.

Lloyd (who wrote the book on it "Ball Milling Theory and Practice for the Amateur Pyrotechnician")

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

And here I am, useing the ones I buy Saturday mornings to clean up rusty treasures with "play sand" then sift them out with a "super ventilated" cookie tin (a square cookie tin with a section of fine expanded stainless installed in the inverted lid), works great except that the sand tends to get compacted into rusty sockets.

Reply to
geraldrmiller

I did not realize they were that far down in quality . I gotta get back on my ball mill project , got all the major pieces cast and/or machined , just gotta start stickin' stuff together .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

I once was at a multi-spindle screw machine shop, they were making stainless steel nuts from hex bar. To deburr the parts they put them in a cement mixer and let them run for hours, MAN IT WAS LOUD !!!!!!

Reply to
brewertr

Yep you did :

Steve W.