[SOLVED] Does anyone know what thread size a tire valve stem and the Schrader valve are?

replying to Wally, alfred wrote: Try M8 x 1.25 it works great

Reply to
alfred

replying to Wally, Verlyn Foster wrote: You can obtain a T handle valve stem tool at any auto parts store. These have the capability of internal and external thread repair as well as an easy out for broken valve cores.

Reply to
Verlyn Foster

5/32-36

I finally bought 4 and put them everywhere so I could always find one of the damned things.

4x 4 way Valve Remover Cores inside Car Tire/AC Plug Stem Installer Repair Tools | eBay
Larry Jaques

I think the outer thread is nominally 0.303" or 7.7mm by 32 TPI. A

5/16" x 32 tap cuts a thread that fits somewhat loosely but well enough, at least to 30 PSI. Valve stem extenders can be reworked if you don't have the tap.
Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Mike, in Nottingham UK

Reply to
Mike M.

replying to Wally, Jim B. wrote: By my measurements it is 19/64 (7.54 mm) x 32 threads per inch. I am also seeking a tap & die for such an animal. Jim B.

Reply to
Jim B.

replying to Wally, Jim B. wrote: By my measurements it is 19/64 (7.54 mm) x 32 threads per inch. I am also seeking a tap & die for such an animal. Jim B.

Reply to
Jim B.

Metal valve extenders are a cheap source of the male and female threads if you have the tools to adapt them. Otherwise 5/16-32 UNEF does fit, though loosely.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Volker Borchert

This explains Schrader and Presta valves.

It gives 6 atmospheres as the maximum pressure for Schrader and 15 for Presta, and 0.302"-32TPI as the Schrader thread.

This shows which bicycle thead standards are metric and which are inch.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Reply to
Volker Borchert

replying to Larry Jaques, Ted Crum wrote: The thread specification for the Schrader valve has almost been lost to history by now. Of course, it is not a metric specification, 32 TPI is not metric. The actual thread is 5/16-32 NEF, with a 80% thread height. Wait, you say, the major diameter isn't 5/16. NO screw has a major diameter equal to it's nominal size - look at a bolt with an unthreaded shank; the threaded part is always smaller than the shank. I bought a 5/16-32 die a while ago and used it to cut Schrader-compatible threads on a .305" rod, and it worked perfectly. There are a lot of bad-fitting parts on the market now, made by offshore firms without the institutional knowledge of archeological bent to get this right.

Reply to
Ted Crum