Drill Press Table Top

While fooling around with the drill press, I built a top to go over the 16" round cast one it came with. Used 1.5" laminated ply. 16" X 32". It works better than the cast one, becasue it's easier to clamp to, and put a fence on........However, I really don't want to get metal shavings embeded in this thing, right? What do you suggest?

My first thought would be to cover it with, say 1/8" aluminum.......I hate to remove it for metal drilling becasue it's so handy. Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Michael.

Reply to
Michael

How about a layer of Formica? Get the thick stuff and file or rout the edges with a little bevel so you can't feel it with a fingernail, this way it won't chip.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Don't tell the Chinese about a non-metal drill press table. It might catch on.

Reply to
Robert Swinney

I put a 1/2" plywood one on my drill press when I bought it new about 35 years ago and cut through it to match the cast iron table's center hole and four radial hold down slots.

I painted it with grey enamel and repainted it only once since then, when I was painting something else nearby and it seemed like a good time to do it.

I can't say I ever noticed any metal chips sticking in it. It sure isn't as smooth as a baby's bum, and has gotten quite a few dings, but it's never been a problem for my hobby usage and I can still hold down my vises or x-y table with bolts and Tee slot nuts through the slots.

While your making wood stuff for your drill press consider hanging a shelf off the backside of the column, using a split clamp made of 2 by

4s to secure it on the column. Mine has a rim of quarter round molding on it to keep stuff from vibrating off. It's a handy place to put drill indexes, burrs, countersinks, hole saws and stuff like that.
Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Aluminum sheet might bug ya. Especially if it's a 5000 series piece. Because it's so soft things will catch on it all the time. When it happens to me it's like fingernails on a chalkboard. How about a piece of masonite? The stuff is hard, smooth, and wont ruin any tool that happens to hit it. Not that aluminum would either. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

Thanks guys! I've got paint, formica, and masonite.........Don't have the stuff to do formica, but would be fine. I'll see what I can find at the Home Despot to finish this thing off......I figured there would be a bunch of guys that had this tho.........

Reply to
Michael

I use a sink cutout for the drill press table. I just grabbed a chunk of the 'pebble' grained stuff, (happened to be yellow and FREE), cut it square with rounded corners. The pebble grain is a bit better for the table, things don't slide off and it's very durable, moreso than the shiny Formica. I also counter sunk some 1/2" NC nuts on the top to bolt it tothe cast iron table, and a few more on the bottom to bolt my vice grip clamp to.

I used the same stuff for the table saw extensi> While fooling around with the drill press, I built a top to go over the 16"

Reply to
RoyJ

No, it's not off topic. Both those tools you mentioned can be used in metal working. I have routed brass and aluminum and cut 1/2 aluminum plate on a table saw.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

||Thanks guys! I've got paint, formica, and masonite.........Don't have the ||stuff to do formica, but would be fine. I'll see what I can find at the Home ||Despot to finish this thing off......I figured there would be a bunch of ||guys that had this tho.........

Can you get a sink cut-out from a cabinet-top? Those used to be free or near-free. Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
rex

No, not where I shop (the borgs). Who carries these?

Reply to
Michael

Another similar material in addition to the other sources mentioned, would be the tops of old school desks. Very good construction material for lots of projects, and a great fish cleaning/fillet board.

Reply to
Wild Bill