Free powdered zinc in DFW Texas or open to suggestions

Hi Group, I have a lot of powdered zinc if anyone here is interested. I figured I would offer to the group before I tried to sell it. It is in plastic bags inside of metal cans. Each can weighs about 90 lbs. If interested you have to pickup at my shop and take at least one can. I have 20 cans. It was part of a take it all or nothing deal of a closed paint store.

I am also open to any good suggestions. If interested email me and we can work out a time to pickup.

Thanks, Vernon Phillips snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
CrazyVern

||Hi Group, ||I have a lot of powdered zinc if anyone here is interested. I figured ||I would offer to the group before I tried to sell it. It is in ||plastic bags inside of metal cans. Each can weighs about 90 lbs. If ||interested you have to pickup at my shop and take at least one can. I ||have 20 cans. It was part of a take it all or nothing deal of a ||closed paint store. || ||I am also open to any good suggestions. || ||If interested email me and we can work out a time to pickup. || ||Thanks, ||Vernon Phillips || snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
rex

Get some sulfur and make a neat rocket or if you are not successful a bomb.

Reply to
Boris Mohar

Isn't there a sort of Rocket Fuel made from zinc powder and sulphur?

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

That would work. It would also be moderately useful in fireworks I suppose (think aluminum or magnesium filings). Cyan sparkles anyone?

Not useful for melting.

Tim

Tim Williams

"CrazyVern" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

You might want to post that message in rec.pyrotechnics I am sure folks there would love getting their hands on this

/peter

Model rocketry enthusiasts might be interested unless our current national paranoia has killed that hobby.

Reply to
Beecrofter

Reply to
Jerry J. Wass

I was googling about and I stumbled accross a rust removal method that involves immersing the part in a boiling lye solution and adding zinc. I havent tried it as electrolysis works fine for the small parts I need to derust but if you have something big to do like a rust siezed engine, it sound like just the job. Also its sounds like it would avoid the 'shadowing' problems you get with complicated or hollow parts and electrolysis. Dont see any reason why powder wouldn't work as well if not better than chunks of the stuff.

Reply to
Ian Malcolm

As a teenager, I burned my face and about half my hair with zinc chromate (chromates, good grief!) and sulfur. Finally got the mix right, about 1/2 cup in a 2 lb. coffee can (I had two gallons ready to mix up for a 6" dia. x 2' piece of pipe with a blind flange on one end and weld cap on the other). I dropped a match from standing over the can, saw a green flash, and shut my eyes. 2nd degree burns over most of my face, no eyebrows, hair burned back about an inch. The half cup melted some of the bottom out of the coffee can. It was a painful night, then a lot of peeling over the next few weeks.

I'd be relatively careful with that mess, if I were you.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Peter T. Keillor III

Zinc dust and sulfur. It was the standard propellant back in the 'basement bomber' days.

The instructions for building a fueling station (at the launch site) involved lots of sand bags.

--RC

Sleep? Isn't that a totally inadequate substitute for caffine?

Reply to
rcook5

The guys doing this stuff are way beyond the "model" stage and are using mixes similar to what NASA's solid boosters use. A Google search on "high-power" and "rocketry" and/or "Tripoli" may turn up some current efforts. The true "model" guys use packaged engines and don't(and can't) mix their own. I think the best use would be as a cold-galvanize pigment, as its original use was.

Stan

Reply to
Stan Schaefer

here's some nice rocket stuff;

click on the MTA link

Reply to
bart

Uhm, Gentlemen,

The zinc/sulfur mix is known as "Micro-grain". It is possibly the most dangerous of rocket propellants. Please, don't try this.

I am an advanced rocketeer. I do make composite propellants, and fly very large rockets. I'm certified level 3 with the Tripoli Rocketry Association. I do know of what I speak when it comes to making rocket propellant. PLEASE, DON"T MESS WITH MICRGRAIN. It's a good way to make your loved ones cry.

And Vern, please ask people that come in looking for the zinc, what they plan to do with it. If they answer "Make rockets", please ask them to leave empty handed. We in the rocketry community don't need the bad publicity. We're already in a fight with the government for our very existence.

Thank you,

Reply to
James L. Marino