My BIG transformer free giveaway; PICTURES

This transformer for free for taking for members of rec.crafts.metalworking. The offer won;t last long. It weighs about

400 lbs. I know that I can easily deadlift 160 lbs, I can barely lift it by one side, so, I figure it must be about 400 lbs.

I live near Naperville, IL. Write to ichudov At algebra DOT com.

I can hoist it into your truck.

If no one takes it, I will try to sell it on ebay. Will appreciate suggesting what kind of auction title to choose etc.

Ignoramus4718

I would love to have it, if even just for the copper. And I suppose the iron can gradually be melted once I build something to melt it...

I'm in Beloit, so it's a few hours drive... dunno how the traffic is on the outskirts of Chi though. Mom and Dad tend to give a negative reaction when asked what driving thru Chi town is like

Tim

Tim Williams

That looks like a ferroresonant or "contstant voltage" transformer because of the transverse steel between the windings. It would be used in conjunction with oil-filled caps (like motor run caps).

For an explanation of how they work ...... ask Spehro I've read articles I thought I understood when I read them, but 20 minutes later I was again clueless and still am.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Gosh - they were in every tube tester I trashed out. Had to have constant AC for somewhat constant DC for the funky meter to be repeatable.

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Chuckle..thats not big. Thats sorta small actually. Now I have big holding up some of my stuff.

Gunner

"The French are a smallish, monkey-looking bunch and not dressed any better, on average, than the citizens of Baltimore. True, you can sit outside in Paris and drink little cups of coffee, but why this is more stylish than sitting inside and drinking large glasses of whiskey I don't know." -- P.J O'Rourke (1989)

Gunner

Yea, this machine had enormous capacitors, see

I can identify with this. :)

Ignoramus27473

@ 25 more of these in series and I COULD have my time machine!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

A transformer that size should be more than adequate for someone wanting to make a good spot/resistance welder, and/or a multi-purpose unit including a blade welder.

There have been numerous past discussions in RCM concerning the switching and timing circuits for spot welders. Blade welders typically use a specific amount of jaw travel and a microswitch mechanism.

Reply to
Wild Bill

Yep, I participated in one such thread. My friend talked me out of it. If you want to make a great spot welder/blade welder/space shuttle/nuclear powered meat grinder, you can have my transformer. :)

Ignoramus5713