Drillscrew or drill screw for thick metal

I am looking for ways to attach components to the floor of a truck. The floor could be as much as 1/4" thick plate with 1/2 inch or so thick mat and sound deadening material. I want to be able to use something like a drill screw or a threaded insert for two reasons. One is that I want the person to be able to work alone and the other is that many times it will be difficult to impossible for someone to get access to the other side of the floor area. I would like the head of the fastener have a positive grip such as a torx, hex head or square drive.

Any ideas?

Reply to
eganders

Grant Erwin

Im getting them too, Its NOC.NET, otherwise known as Ostrich with head in the sand net.

Reply to
njl6770

Riv-nuts, Truck-serts and I'm sure other brand names. Drill correct size hole, insert and set like a pop-rivet with a special tool then use a machine screw. See

an example.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

there's self drillers/tapers that will attach to 1/4" mild steel, no problem.

should have something that will work. g/l

Reply to
rustyjames

Buy self drilling/tapping screws. They come in lots of sizes & heads, although the kind I get most often have a hex head. They have a drill bit tip & a screw gun will drill right in & then they self tap.

Reply to
Jim

If the sound deadening material or mat is made of fibrous material, like carpet, you may have a problem with the drill screw winding up the fibers or yarn. This occurs when you try to drill through carpet. You may have to cut the sound deadening material with a round punch before drilling.

Gary Brady Austin, TX

Reply to
Gary Brady

Gary, It seems like these materials usually have nylon or plastic in them. I prefer to use a propane torch and a scratch awl to melt a non-raveling screw hole into the material.

DanG

You can get broad flat (wafer?) head & sealer washer self tapping screws that have torx/hex/robertson drive. We've used them successfully in similar apps. Thinner ones drill easier but snap off if you are over zealous.

Reply to
Douglas Adams

before

Reply to