Driving blindfolded

The other evening on the TV show fear factor one of the stunts involved driving a car blindfolded with the passenger giving directions on which way to turn and whether to speed
up or slow down with the intent of driving up a ramp onto a flatbed trailer! All of the drivers had a very difficult time taking these directions and it was hilarious! Now I'm thinking what can be so hard about this? Is it something mental? How would you prefer to have directions given to you in that situation?Some drivers were told to go left and instead went into a right turn and stayed in it. Funny. Is it best if the driver were given status reports on current position or should the passenger give reports on the next future move? If I were driving I would put my hands at ten and two and make small corrections returning the wheel to straight ahead till the next report. Could be challenging for sure! This stunt shows us how much we depend on visual input, eih? Phil

Probably the passenger should scream less loudly, the closer the driver is to teh desired 'flight path...'
Jim
please reply to:
Fear factor is a waste. Half of the things they do are either part of a normal days work for many people or native cuisine somewhere. Grab a few submarine helmsmen if you wanna drive blindfolded, if you spill your beer, you lose!

The BBC2 TopGear TV programme recently had a blind driver driving round their test track with instructions from one of the presenters. He actually got round faster than a couple of sighted celebrity drivers.
Someone I used to know (now deceased) holds the world speed record for a motorcycle driven by a blind person.
Leon
On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 08:17:19 -0500, "Phil Kangas"

Might just be bandwidth. Words take too much time. Imagine something that would emit one tone if you were off to the left, a different tone if you were off to the right, with volume or warble rate proportional to error magnitude.
If it were female, it would screech if you're following too close....
Don Foreman wrote:

You are describing, almost exactly, an early instrument flying technique. Flying down the center of the beam, the pilot hears a steady tone. Drift right or left and he hears a Morse "r" or "a" character in the headset.
I flew left seat in a helicopter once and gave the pilot verbal directions to get to a destination. "right 15 degrees", "left 10 degrees", got there with very little deviation.

Thats "a" or "n" --- not "r"
Jim
Jim Stewart wrote:

Jim Stewart wrote:

Not quite. a = dot dash the opposite side was n n = dash dot r = dot dash dot
...lew... ( former W3SLX )
On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 11:44:22 -0600, Don Foreman

They do something similar with blind skiers and blind golfers.
Gunner
"Gunner, you are the same ridiculous liberal f--k you ever where." Scipio < snipped-for-privacy@actd.net

I would think the directions should give you what your eyes would have. Don't tell the driver what to do, tell hin where he is. Bearing and range to the target, as "11 O'clock at 100 feet".
--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 08:17:19 -0500, "Phil Kangas"

Phil Kangas wrote:

Hell, in the 70's a buddy and I used to do something similar. Whoever was driving would recline the seat all the way back, the other would give directions. Funny as hell to see the reactions of other drivers when they realized the passenger had no hands on the wheel. We mostly cruised mall parking lots and low traffic side streets at night. Sure helps a lot if you really trust the other person! We used to do lots of stupid stunts like this, and we're both still around to laugh about it.
Jon
Blind golfers ?
Hmmm, does that mean that Gerald Ford was blind ?
On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 14:58:08 -0800, Fuhh <> wrote:

LOL... could be...
http://www.blindgolf.com / http://www.blindgolf.org.au /
Google has lots of hits on the subject.
Gunner
"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child - miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke