Dual Dimensioned Drawings

these days typically having been designed by Frankenstein or relative if you catch my drift.

One suspects that the real rule is that if they have to change any tooling or do any redesign to use "hard metric" they won't bother, they'll just redraw. Why redo the stress analysis on a small block Chevy to see if metric rod bolts are OK when you can just make a metric drawing of what you're already making?

Reply to
J. Clarke

J. Clarke Inscribed thus:

Has anybody counted how many different threads are used on a Myford lathe ?

Reply to
Baron

these days typically having been designed by Frankenstein or relative if you catch my drift.

My beef with GM concerns the spare tire attachment system on a 1990 Chebby Lumina APV. In Feb. 1997 on the way down I-75 I came out of the motel to a flat tire. Out with the jack etc. and prepared to lower the spare. I suspect my first action was in the wrong direction because as soon as I applied pressure, the spare fell to the ground - guess I was lucky it was still there. I collected the stray bits and from then till summer I carried the spare internally. In nice weather I attempted to remove the winch mechanism. I determined that the attachment bolts had hex. heads that fit perfectly in a 5/16 socket - OK, #10 machine screws seem somewhat inadequate, but, if I'm very careful and get very lucky and use lots of penetrating oil, I just might get things appart. Some time later, and with the help of a cheater and 16 ounce hammer, I discovered that I had odd looking 8M bolts. After dismantling, cleaning, stuffing with grease and re-assembling the winch, designing and machining a new cable end, I re-installed it using standard 8M bolts. The spare was still there when second son's step daughter demolished the vehicle ten years later.

Reply to
grmiller

Maybe those imperial fasteners were left over AMC parts!

David

Reply to
David R. Birch

Waste not, want not...