40 is machine weight not auto weight. Lots of different.

I use 10, 30, 60, and heavy weight. None are anything like auto weights.

Auto normally has chemicals that keeps gunk floating to be filtered out. Machines want it in the oil dump settle out.

#40 is semi thick.

An oil company will gladly sell you a gallon or maybe a quart.

I have 10 in a gallon and heavy weight there - 5 gallons of 30 and 60.

You can buy it directly as Shell oil or cross reference it at an oil company that is a wholesale type - bulk supplier...

Mart> Bought an el cheapo import 60#. The manual, such as it is, say to use

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Thanks. Very informative. That's why I asked.

CP

Reply to
Pilgrim

Rotella IS engine oil. It IS a detergent oil, and it IS rather thick. In actual fact,#40 Rotella is VERY close to the same "thickness" as Shell Spirax #90 gear oil at normal room temperature.

Reply to
clare

Lubricants can be confusing as hell to the uninitiated. Helll..they can be confusing to the pros too!!

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner