Electric stove element repair

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

The typical 275-300gal heating oil tank will keep you cozy for about 60 days if it's full. Even if it's only half full and you're also using the fuel for your diesel generator you've got a couple weeks supply.
"Pete C." wrote:

You don't need heat for most of hurricane season. I have a gasoline generator that's big enough to use up whatever food is left in the fridge and to run the well pump a few times a day. With limited water, canned goods are safer. You can wrap a can in a thin piece of black cloth and lay it on the dash of your vehicle to warm it up. Plastic spoons & forks, and paper plates keep you from contaminating the food. I have enough of either on hand to last a couple months. I have some bags of Charcoal & lighter to cook on, if needed. I have to keep things simple, due to health problems. :)
enough left over to pay them.
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

Things here are anything but simple. I have backup for my backup and then some. Of course hurricanes aren't much of a threat here, tornadoes are. At any rate, my pantry is always well stocked as is my freezer. I have a couple generators, a big 2kw inverter on one truck, a fully equipped camper, etc. I figure if the bird flu pandemic or whatever shows up, I'm good for at least 90 days of total isolation, and since I work from home, as long as my Internet stays up I can continue to work.
"Pete C." wrote:

I stockpile what I can afford. I am now 100% disabled without much income. I need a cane to walk, so things that used to be easy for me can be damn near impossible. Tornados are a problem here as well, but most likely on the edges of a hurricane.
enough left over to pay them.
We had like advantage some years ago - Living in mountains - my neighbors had piped in gas. I had propane - my house was last to be built and many roots.... Put in a tank.
They lost electricity and gas and hot water!! after the earthquake.
I had gas stove, gas dryer - generator drove washer. - wood stove for heat. We helped some of the neighbors who were not cooking with Coleman stoves some cooking for them. Did some laundry. But our hot showers were nice to have after a lot of work outdoors. We baked bread and cake out in the Bar-B-Que on the deck. It was propane naturally.
Semi-off grid makes for a better lasting ability.
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net "Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Originator & Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com /
On 10/5/2010 8:01 PM, Wes wrote:

The builder thought this out a little bit, all the utilities are underground and I haven't lost power in the 18 months since I moved to the country. And, this place is so well insulated that my worst e-bill has been $225 and I kept the house at 67. If I had to, I'd fire up the gas grill.
in the past when I've needed to connect to Nichrome, I've used silver solder

I'll try it if that the alternative, but I think it might get too hot in use...but the connection IS at the end.
On Tue, 5 Oct 2010 04:33:50 -0400, "Buerste"

Use high temperature rated silver solder and then squash a small U shaped piece of steel on the nichrome wire very close to the joint. This acts as a heatsink to reduce the wire temperature just before it enters the soldered joint.
Jim
On Oct 5, 6:33am, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Can you replace the 1/4"spade lug if the heat damages it?
jsw
I suspect that you already know Jim, but for others that may not be familiar with heating element terminations, the terminals are generally always (and definitely should be) stainless steel terminals, not copper, brass or other weak metals.
Low-priced discount store Chinese household appliances many times use plated brass, and they're often the first parts to fail.
Johnstone Supply and other good electrical parts suppliers normally stock stainless steel terminals, and some may be clearly marked Hi-Temp.
While properly crimped HT terminals can be used on stranded heater wires, resistance weld, or capacitor discharge spot welds need to be used on solid conductors (stainless steel washers, screw and nut, also ss, being an alternative method, if properly installed).
--
WB

"Jim Wilkins" < snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com> wrote in message
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

That is clever!
the low melt silver solder is 1600 deg, as I recall, the high melting one is about 1900 if memory serves.

TIG. Use a very small (.040") tungsten.

I think it might be JUST the right tool. Use electrodes with small tips.
LLoyd