Electric stove element repair

I like to toast tortillas right on the top.

Reply to
Buerste

The builder thought this out a little bit, all the utilities are underground and I haven't lost power in the 18 months since I moved to the country. And, this place is so well insulated that my worst e-bill has been $225 and I kept the house at 67. If I had to, I'd fire up the gas grill.

Reply to
Buerste

furnace is useless

Yep, a reliable on-site supply, much better than being dependent on a gas monopoly.

Reply to
Pete C.

furnace is useless

What do you call THE local, overpriced dealer if not a monopoly?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

furnace is useless

I don't. When I lived in the northeast where oil heat is the norm, my local dealer who happened to be all of 1/2 a mile away had some of the best prices in the area, and I had at least 5 competitors to choose from as well. My mother still lives in the area and gets an extra senior discount as well as a COD discount since she drops off a check the same day or day after they deliver.

Also in the event you run out of oil for some reason (not sure why you would, guess it's the same people always having their power turned off) you can put 10 gal of diesel in from any fuel station (or your truck) to get through a couple days until a normal delivery and not have to pay extra for an emergency delivery.

Reply to
Pete C.

furnace is useless

matters near 45N

Also, if you want to play "green", you can run bio-diesel or WVO or any combination in your oil furnace with no issues as long as you have your oil tank in your basement where it's somewhat warm so the WVO/BD doesn't gel.

Reply to
Pete C.

furnace is useless

matters near 45N

Not right after a hurricane. Roads closed, stations with either no electricity or no fuel. That's why I keep two to four weeks of canned food on hand during hurricane season.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

my furnace is useless

matters near 45N

I have a bad propane furnace. I don't have a basement. They aren't common in most of Florida. The propane delivery company is run by idiots. When I found out that parts weren't availible to repair it, I asked them to remove their tank. it was still there six months later so i told them they had three days to remove it otr else. They laughed at me, so I told them the fourth day was a Saturday, and that I was going to hook a chain to their tank and drag it out onto the highway on its runners and leave it in the right of way where the police would find it. They picked it up early the next morning.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

my furnace is useless

matters near 45N

The typical 275-300gal heating oil tank will keep you cozy for about 60 days if it's full. Even if it's only half full and you're also using the fuel for your diesel generator you've got a couple weeks supply.

Reply to
Pete C.

lines, my furnace is useless

matters near 45N

Nice. I probably would have sent a certified letter notifying them of the last opportunity to claim their abandoned property before if was forfeited and turned into a BBQ smoker.

Reply to
Pete C.

They didn't want the old tank. It would need recertified, cleaned & painted. They had hundreds of bad tanks waiting to be picked up in their storage lot. That tank did have their name painted on it, though. They wanted me to sign a contract to buy propane from them, like the previous owner. They charged you a minumum deliverly fee, and demanded to top off the tank evry three months. That was three un-needed visits a year that would have cost more than the fuel I needed all year.

That tank was so bad that I didn't want it. There are old fuel oil tanks and better looking propane tanks for free, than what they finally hauled off. It was way too big for a home BBQ anyway. It's the same size as a local church uses for their occasional BBQ ribs sales.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

You don't need heat for most of hurricane season. I have a gasoline generator that's big enough to use up whatever food is left in the fridge and to run the well pump a few times a day. With limited water, canned goods are safer. You can wrap a can in a thin piece of black cloth and lay it on the dash of your vehicle to warm it up. Plastic spoons & forks, and paper plates keep you from contaminating the food. I have enough of either on hand to last a couple months. I have some bags of Charcoal & lighter to cook on, if needed. I have to keep things simple, due to health problems. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Things here are anything but simple. I have backup for my backup and then some. Of course hurricanes aren't much of a threat here, tornadoes are. At any rate, my pantry is always well stocked as is my freezer. I have a couple generators, a big 2kw inverter on one truck, a fully equipped camper, etc. I figure if the bird flu pandemic or whatever shows up, I'm good for at least 90 days of total isolation, and since I work from home, as long as my Internet stays up I can continue to work.

Reply to
Pete C.

I stockpile what I can afford. I am now 100% disabled without much income. I need a cane to walk, so things that used to be easy for me can be damn near impossible. Tornados are a problem here as well, but most likely on the edges of a hurricane.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

That is clever!

Reply to