Crimped and soldered terminals

. In corrosive environments, stranded wire will corrode into the crimmped terminal and around the wire, insulating the wire
from the terminal slightly causing it to burn, then fail.. thats common.
Accordingly battery cable manufacturers most often solder their wire into the crimped terminal ends.
This practice is seen pervasively in marine environments on both low amperage control circuits, and on power circuits.
Use of solder on power circuit terminals however has many problems, namely the solder melting out of the joint if the wire warms too much...and extrusion of the solder under compressive stress if screw connectors are used.. the military specs some are referring to cover that aspect... but not the other aspects.
Use of solder in an already crimped terminal serves to increase the electrical contact area, thats good, and to preclude corrosive gases, vapors and oils from the joint (by wicking up the bare wire).... that is seen commonly be the cause of failure in those situations.
For the last 100 years... and currently.... most if not all controls systems and component manufacturers dip wire ends in solder that are to be fit under screw head connectors... the practice is at least 90% common.... thats with *control circuits.
The practice is not common with power circuits for the reasons mentioned but is still seen in some situations (primarily corrosive environments... anyone can purchase NEC approved soldered connectors of course for those purposes... those are also pervasively common, especially in the electronics industry.)
Phil Scott Mechanical/ Electrical engineer and industrial controls contractor since 1852 (I'm very old)

Phil, what brought this on? was there something i missed?
a while back in a different group i mentioned tinning a speaker wire before attaching it to a speakon connector as was roundly criticized as a fool and/or ignoramus. maybe so, but the cable works fine. (cables i built 30 years ago with tinned ends work fine too). i do see the point about solder being a soft alloy but it seems of you squish down hard enough it just doesn't matter.
On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 00:46:13 -0500, "TimPerry"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creep_%28deformation%29
On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 07:11:19 GMT, Roy L. Fuchs

http://www.semiconfareast.com/solder-joint-failures.htm

This brings to mind the problems of galvanic corrosion, the reaction (chemical) between elements at different locations within the electromotive series.

Did you supply lighting for Brunel and Telford while they built their famous bridges?
On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 19:24:50 -0000, "Billy H"

Which is why such applications use specific types of terminals, not those of the consumer grade.
On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 19:24:50 -0000, "Billy H"

You and he both are idiots.
Gave us:

So nice to be put in the same bracket as Telford and Brunel, but remember Roy, when there are more than one person, 'he' is not the word to use. It would have been more correct linguistically to say 'you and them are all idiots', although of course incorrect in fact.
On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 00:23:18 -0000, "Billy H"

No, idiot. YOU and the Phil IDIOT you are jacking off at the mouth with, you retarded fuck. I never said anything about Telford and Brunel, you retarded fuck.

Except that I was NOT talking about "them" YOU RETARDED FUCKTARD!

You are. What I said was fine. Get a clue.
Just two week ago I was called out to a home with an electric furnace. 22 amps were flowing thru a tight fitting spade lug connected to a contactor (actually there are 4 separate circuits identical to this one for a total of 88 amps @ 240 VAC using 4 separate contactors). Only this one particular spade was close to the melting point. So I used a new laser guided no-contact infrared thermometer to measure the temperature. It was much higher than the other three circuits, yet the amperage was 22 amps just like the rest. I cut off the spade lug and two inches of wire (8 gauge stranded), then crimped on a new one. I measured the temp again and the temp was lower. Then I soldered that new crimp with 60/40 rosin. I measured again and found the temp to be 8 degrees F lower. I am convinced that a combination of crimping and soldering is best. It also guarantees there will not be future oxidation at the joint. The wire is copper, the spade is tin or Nichol coated, as is the contactor, that creates an electrolysis when heated, like a Peltier junction. The solder helps alleviate that I think. You may disagree but I believe my eyes and hands-on experience.
In regards to a different post. I think the use of LITZ wire is justified when connecting surge protectors because of it's unique high frequency ability (skin effect) , yes I know it does not matter at 60 Hz's, but it does matter for the short spikes which can be measured in megahertz. I twist three 14 ga. Enamel wires together.

Thats what I call good documented experience, and its intuitively correct as I see it for the reasons you state....so much for the mil specs or crimp only being gospel...
Phil Scott

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 00:54:13 -0800, "Phil Scott"

You're an idiot.

Hahahaha... 88 amps at 240 volts eh? That's some home heater. You sure you know how to read a meter?

Hahahahaha... Three 14 Ga wires does NOT make a litz wire. Enameled or not.
Roy Fuchs, It's clear to everyone in this newsgroup that you have many serious mental defects. You are the laughing stock, the local idiot, that is the butt of many jokes.
I feel sorry for you. I knew before I ever placed my post, that I would be seeing you calling me an idiot, but it did not deter me from posting anyway.
This is the one and only time I will ever respond to anything you have to say, so no matter what reactions you have to me, I will ignore everything you "Roy Fuchs" have to say. I would invite everybody else to never respond to anything you ever post again.
Newsgroups are not for condemning total strangers, it should be to help and exchange ideas and present arguments for and against points of view. The net result is a win-win for everybody and may lead to a common middle ground, which is where the truth usually lies.
I'm convinced after reading your many posts Roy, that you attack everybody. You don't know me, yet the first thing you did was to attack me. Roy, you little boy.
Yes, two circuits of 22amp each, go to one 50 amp breaker, two more circuits of 22amp each, go to another 50 amp breaker. That's 88 amps going thru a pair of 50 amp double breakers ( for you Roy, 50 +50 = 100amp total capacity).
Litz wire is made up of multiple strands of enamel wire, the more strands the better, but the number of wires is determined by the highest frequency you want to pass. We used Litz wire in the transformers of our 5 KW switching power supplies for Navy Radars. These 5KW supplies were then ganged together to create 100's of kilowatts of power.
I don't have to justify myself to you Roy, but in 1982~85 I worked on cutting edge switching power supplies in the Research and Development lab of the Radar Transmitter department of ITT, in Van Nuys, Calif. I won "employee of the year" got my walnut plaque and picture on the front page of the company newspaper. I invented many things for them, both single handedly and working as a team. Then I was promoted to Test Engineering, as a support test engineer, designing test equipment for the Navy. I've been retired now for about 15 years and have FORGOTTEN many things and NEVER KNEW it all to begin with. I was not strong on theory but experimented a lot as a child, I have decades of hands-on experience. I was self taught, I do NOT have a degree, so having not read text books from cover to cover, there are chapters I never learned. In many ways I am ignorant, but certainly not stupid. That will be the end of my vanity and I will not justify myself further.
You Roy, were teased your whole life by kids calling you Fu*ker and Fu*ks a lot. Your Dad called you an idiot about ten times a day (and maybe your mother and/or teachers) and I'm sure he beat you for both justified and not justified reasons. You hate yourself and everyone else. You can not keep a job. With a mouth and temper like yours, you could never work around professionals and exchange ideas or follow directions, because you know everything and your bosses and co-workers are all "idiots". I would tell you Roy, to seek a mental health professional, but then they're idiots too. You sorry little boy.

Then why are you doing it?

Then why are you NOT doing it?

Hahahaha... another "interpreter". Priceless.

Nope. Just the idiots.

I called you an idiot for the CRAP you posted. That is not an attack on you. It IS an attack on the retarded bullshit you posted.

Tell us, oh Guru of amperage... what is the service feed for the house?

That is not the criteria at all. I have designed and wound transformers that use 3, 5, or even 43 strands in the exact same transformer at the exact same frequency. It all depends on what one wants to do with the signal being transformed.

Oh Boy! I am impressed.

Oh boy! Current sharing!

Oh Boy! ITT!

Oh Boy! Awards and news articles!

Oh boy! A NON engineer calling himself an engineer!

You got that right.

Oh boy! Two whole decades!

And it shows. Oh Boy! I am NOT surprised!

Hahahaha... Good time to "bail" as so many Californians say... and do.

You do not know a goddamned thing about me, RETARD BOY!

Unlike you, I actually excelled in school and DID obtain a degree.

Nope. Just retarded Usenet posters, and idiots that raise their kids to be suicide bombers.

You are a goddamned retard.

Temper? I am having a greta time! Bwuahahahaha...

I work directly under the director of engineering, and the president, also an engineer.

I get along with all of my co-workers.

The first thing that you have said correctly since the moment you entered the thread.

You sorry retarded fuck.
Gave us:

22
of
like
convinced
the
hands-on
Looks like a standard 20KW electric furnace.
Nothing strange here except Roy Boy.

justified
Gave us:

Is there a way of complaining about fools such as Roy and having a host search for his ISP address and sending the Feds around to have him incarcerated under some Mental Health Act?
wrote in

No. Only if they libel you then it will take a lot of money to sue them. The only effective cure is a kill file...it works every time.
what balls up most people when a jerk spins or discredits them, they feel they must correct the damage somehow....
it takes years to learn that in short order others on the NG see the bogus tactics and shine all that on.... the best response is to kill file and then post well on the general topic in a separate thread.
that makes it all clear.... regardless of the sociopaths dancing around the edges.
Phil Scott

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 16:19:53 -0800, "Phil Scott"

Not even then, you RETARDED ASSWIPE!
Otherwise, you dug your own grave in that respect.
On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 16:19:53 -0800, "Phil Scott"

That must be your new nym!
snipped-for-privacy@philscott.net
Bwuahahahahahah!!!