Need "higher density" terminal block

I have a CNC rotary table with a little box containing a terminal block for the wires (tach, and resolver). To use it on my CNC mill, I would need to use more wires, such as for a home switch, more wires to interface to a resolver than currently etc.

The existing box has a terminal strip, but I need something like 3 more terminals. I do not want to just deal with a wire nut mess inside, or soldered mess, so: is there such a thing as a "high density terminal block" with, say, 4-5 contacts per inch or something like that.

I looked on mcmaster and digikey and did not find anything

Thanks

Ignoramus12759

Check Phoenix Contact. #1414129

There are lots of choices.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

If you look closely in the Digi-Key catalog, Weidmuller has some compact pluggable terminal blocks in both male and female versions so they can be used as an in-line disconnectable terminal strip. Put the terminal strip to male plug end in your RT and the terminal strip to female plug end on your cable.

Reply to
Pete C.

Either Weidmuller or AB have stuff if you can fit a small piece of DIN rail. For instance

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

You're not likely to find a commonly available connector that will be as compact as just soldering the ends in a lap joint (wires meet end-to-end) covered with shrink tubing. The bundle can then be secured to the housing or other stationary part to eliminate any significant motion from vibration.

The actual tubular contacts in those Euro-type terminal strips can be removed from the nylon blocks (after taking the screws out), then the bare tubular connector/terminal is a plated machined brass connector with 2 screws for inserting wire ends into.. but then there is the bulk of the connectors and screws.

A small circuit board with two rows of holes can be used to thread the wires up thru 2 adjacent holes, lay them flat against each other (and the board) and solder the lap joint. The small board, even perf board acts as strain relief and secures the joints, which can be covered/coated with corona dope or liquid tape.

Most miniature terminal blocks are usually intended to be used as a solderless user interface (inputs-outputs etc), and are generally part of a circuit board or structural component of an enclosure. Loose/free hanging cord-end or bulkhead pass-thru types aren't as common.. that's where actual connector ends come into play.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

The Weidmuller pluggable terminal blocks I noted are exactly that, pluggable terminal block pairs that directly mate with no PCB required.

Reply to
Pete C.

Europa strips?

Eby might have something

Cheers

Reply to
Martin Riddle

I think you might be referring to the WGK Series Panel Feed-Through Terminals shown on this page..

Not exactly high density.. from what I noticed in a quick glance of the PDF, it appears that the connector bodies are 10mm wide, and the adjacent wire spacing would be 10mm also with the connectors installed in a row (touching).

I don't remember how much space there was in the rotary table motor housing that Ig posted pics of, but I think I recall that the space was fairly cramped with other components.

Other than a sealed, covered cable exiting the RT box (simplest solution), an environmentally sealed, high reliability connector might be the only other good option.

He loves seeing that coolant flow.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

Nope, not panel feed-through. These are 5mm? pluggable terminal blocks, but they are available in both male and female plug versions so they can directly mate. 5mm spacing is about 5 per inch as Iggy requested.

Reply to
Pete C.

I actually found something, McMaster items 7606K21 and 7606K29, they have a .25 distance between centers, good enough for me, though I will double check again tonight.

I need 6+1+2+2=11 connections.

Ignoramus12759

8mm is too much, unfortunately. i
Reply to
Ignoramus12759

I have a CNC rotary table with a little box containing a terminal block for the wires (tach, and resolver). To use it on my CNC mill, I would need to use more wires, such as for a home switch, more wires to interface to a resolver than currently etc.

The existing box has a terminal strip, but I need something like 3 more terminals. I do not want to just deal with a wire nut mess inside, or soldered mess, so: is there such a thing as a "high density terminal block" with, say, 4-5 contacts per inch or something like that.

I looked on mcmaster and digikey and did not find anything

Thanks

Reply:

Depends on the wire gauge. You could get a terminal block like telco's use. An IDC connector for larger wires.

Reply to
Califbill

It isn't clear if you are connecting wire to wire or wire to board. Besides the approach Pete mentioned (using small PC board for ad hoc wire to wire interconnects) you could install items like below on

0.1"-centers protoboard: 0.1" centers 0.2" centers; you can cut down to desired length or buy shorter ones if these are too long

Also see "PC mount screw-clamp blocks with terminals on 5mm (0.197") centers. Interlock two or three position blocks to provide strips of any required length." at

Reply to
James Waldby

What is wrong with the old telephone wiring block?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Yes, but, I like to be able to undo and redo stuff without cutting wires. Plus, a terminal block is easier to follow and document.

Vibration is not an issue in this case.

I agree. Anyway, I found something on McMaster, I will get it today if I drive there, or tomorrow.

Ignoramus30024

The pluggable headers I noted do not require a PC board, they directly mate. I've seen them used this way in some commercial equipment recently also.

Reply to
Pete C.

There are many terminal blocks for DIN rail with pitch of 5-6mm made by Weidmuller, Entrelec or Phoenix Contact.

If you need more density there are multilevel contact blocks like

You can get about 10-12 contacts per inch for AWG 26 to 16 and up to 17A with this.

Reply to
Yuki

DIN rail is too wide to go there.

Ignoramus30024

Do a search for europian barrier strip

Pretty sure most of them have the terminals per inch you are looking for.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

The style you recommend sound like handy items, but I've been unable to find the specific Weidmuller parts you're describing.

I think I have similar connectors from Phoenix.

Reply to
Wild_Bill