Need "higher density" terminal block

I have a CNC rotary table with a little box containing a terminal block for the wires (tach, and resolver). To use it on my CNC mill, I
would need to use more wires, such as for a home switch, more wires to interface to a resolver than currently etc.
The existing box has a terminal strip, but I need something like 3 more terminals. I do not want to just deal with a wire nut mess inside, or soldered mess, so: is there such a thing as a "high density terminal block" with, say, 4-5 contacts per inch or something like that.
I looked on mcmaster and digikey and did not find anything
Thanks

Check Phoenix Contact. #1414129
http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Terminal_Blocks/Standard_DIN-Rail_Terminal_Blocks_%28order_by_Component_Type%29/Triple-level_Feed-Through_Terminal_Blocks DN-TL14
There are lots of choices.
Wes
Ignoramus12759 wrote:

If you look closely in the Digi-Key catalog, Weidmuller has some compact pluggable terminal blocks in both male and female versions so they can be used as an in-line disconnectable terminal strip. Put the terminal strip to male plug end in your RT and the terminal strip to female plug end on your cable.

Either Weidmuller or AB have stuff if you can fit a small piece of DIN rail. For instance http://www.ab.com/en/epub/catalogs/12768/229240/229268/3170951/2297059/tab5.html
Pete Keillor
I actually found something, McMaster items 7606K21 and 7606K29, they have a .25 distance between centers, good enough for me, though I will double check again tonight.
I need 6+1+2+2 connections.
You're not likely to find a commonly available connector that will be as compact as just soldering the ends in a lap joint (wires meet end-to-end) covered with shrink tubing. The bundle can then be secured to the housing or other stationary part to eliminate any significant motion from vibration.
The actual tubular contacts in those Euro-type terminal strips can be removed from the nylon blocks (after taking the screws out), then the bare tubular connector/terminal is a plated machined brass connector with 2 screws for inserting wire ends into.. but then there is the bulk of the connectors and screws.
A small circuit board with two rows of holes can be used to thread the wires up thru 2 adjacent holes, lay them flat against each other (and the board) and solder the lap joint. The small board, even perf board acts as strain relief and secures the joints, which can be covered/coated with corona dope or liquid tape.
Most miniature terminal blocks are usually intended to be used as a solderless user interface (inputs-outputs etc), and are generally part of a circuit board or structural component of an enclosure. Loose/free hanging cord-end or bulkhead pass-thru types aren't as common.. that's where actual connector ends come into play.
--
WB

"Ignoramus12759" <ignoramus12759@NOSPAM.12759.invalid> wrote in message
Wild_Bill wrote:

The Weidmuller pluggable terminal blocks I noted are exactly that, pluggable terminal block pairs that directly mate with no PCB required.
I think you might be referring to the WGK Series Panel Feed-Through Terminals shown on this page..
http://www.clrwtr.com/Weidmuller-Terminals.htm
Not exactly high density.. from what I noticed in a quick glance of the PDF, it appears that the connector bodies are 10mm wide, and the adjacent wire spacing would be 10mm also with the connectors installed in a row (touching).
I don't remember how much space there was in the rotary table motor housing that Ig posted pics of, but I think I recall that the space was fairly cramped with other components.
Other than a sealed, covered cable exiting the RT box (simplest solution), an environmentally sealed, high reliability connector might be the only other good option.
He loves seeing that coolant flow.
--
WB

"Pete C." < snipped-for-privacy@snet.net> wrote in message
Wild_Bill wrote:

Nope, not panel feed-through. These are 5mm? pluggable terminal blocks, but they are available in both male and female plug versions so they can directly mate. 5mm spacing is about 5 per inch as Iggy requested.
The style you recommend sound like handy items, but I've been unable to find the specific Weidmuller parts you're describing.
I think I have similar connectors from Phoenix.
--
WB

"Pete C." < snipped-for-privacy@snet.net> wrote in message

Yes, but, I like to be able to undo and redo stuff without cutting wires. Plus, a terminal block is easier to follow and document.

Vibration is not an issue in this case.

I agree. Anyway, I found something on McMaster, I will get it today if I drive there, or tomorrow.

Europa strips? <http://www.tycoelectronics.com/catalog/feat/en/c/16696
Eby might have something <http://www.ebyelectro.com/
Cheers

8mm is too much, unfortunately.
"Ignoramus12759" wrote in message
I have a CNC rotary table with a little box containing a terminal block for the wires (tach, and resolver). To use it on my CNC mill, I would need to use more wires, such as for a home switch, more wires to interface to a resolver than currently etc.
The existing box has a terminal strip, but I need something like 3 more terminals. I do not want to just deal with a wire nut mess inside, or soldered mess, so: is there such a thing as a "high density terminal block" with, say, 4-5 contacts per inch or something like that.
I looked on mcmaster and digikey and did not find anything
Thanks
Reply:
Depends on the wire gauge. You could get a terminal block like telco's use. An IDC connector for larger wires.
In rec.crafts.metalworking et al on 2010-12-19 Ignoramus12759 wrote:

It isn't clear if you are connecting wire to wire or wire to board. Besides the approach Pete mentioned (using small PC board for ad hoc wire to wire interconnects) you could install items like below on 0.1"-centers protoboard: <http://www.modtronix.com/product_info.php?products_id75 0.1" centers <http://compare.ebay.com/like/140489161284 0.2" centers; you can cut down to desired length or buy shorter ones if these are too long
Also see "PC mount screw-clamp blocks with terminals on 5mm (0.197") centers. Interlock two or three position blocks to provide strips of any required length." at <http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/TER-203/3-POSITION-PCB-TERMINAL-BLOCK//1.html>
--
jiw

James Waldby wrote:

The pluggable headers I noted do not require a PC board, they directly mate. I've seen them used this way in some commercial equipment recently also.

    What is wrong with a using small connector with crimp pins? You can usually get two-row ones which will do nicely for the number of terminals you need -- depending on maximum current to be carried. A DA-15 would likely be sufficient for your purposes.
    Especially considering that you will not be keeping the rotary table on the mill full time -- so the ability to unplug the cable at the table should be quite handy.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

This is a great idea. Is there a connector where both sides can be crimped. male and female
On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 23:08:35 -0600, the renowned Ignoramus30024

Can you use the round military-style connectors? Mouser carries a reasonable stock of them, but you might want to get the crimper from eBay.
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 23:08:35 -0600, Ignoramus30024

If you're moving away from screw-terminal style receptacles...
Look at the Molex "Mini-Fit Jr" series if you need moderate current capacity (up to 9 A). Typically the load side is a PC-mount but they do have free-hanging (in-line) crimp mates as well. These are polarized and latching connectors.
If you're really cramped for space and if these aren't power connections, look at the JST PH series. They're 2 mm pitch and rated up to 2 A (using AWG 24). Also polarized and latching. Used a lot in consumer goods, they also have the benefit of being pretty inexpensive.
--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA