Terminal Strips

Where can I purchase various size terminal strips for connecting wires under the benchwork? I used to buy them at Radio Shack but the local stores have long stopped carrying most electronic accessories.

Thanks, Craig

Reply to
Craig

Yep, Radio Shack is becoming less and less useful. They are giving up stocking parts. PITA. See if there are any electronic surplus dealers in your area. Sometimes they have parts, although most of 'em now just carry junk computer stuff which is less useful for model railroads. Try mail order. All Electronics is a good surplus place. Mouser and Digikey are good sources for new parts.

David Starr

Reply to
David Starr

Radio Shack only stocks what sells - what retailer does otherwise?

If you can't get terminal strips easily, you can make your own. Just drive small brass screws partways into the benchwork. Quick and dirty, but it works.

Reply to
Wolf

Good afternoon Craig;

Sometimes electrical suppliers and contractors will carry them as well.

Cheers, John

Reply to
John Fraser

On 7/26/2007 4:38 AM Craig spake thus:

Digi-Key:

Jameco:
(two of many)

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

I go sort of the same way Wolf does: A drill, lots of 8-32 machine screws (various lengths) and lots and lots of 8-32 nuts. Quick, convenient, flexible. Can control spacing for access. Don't know if it's cheaper (although I suspect it is) but it sure makes life easier when I'm hauling my 6'5" less than graceful frame around under the benchwork.

Reply to
Henry Murray

On 7/26/2007 11:19 AM Henry Murray spake thus:

May I suggest a small refinement? Use 8-32 thumbnuts for the hold-down; that way you don't even have to carry a wrench when you're crawling down there.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Allied Electronics

Yes, it's still in business!

BDK

Reply to
BDK

You can have them ordered for you if you just like shopping in town as I do.

Then there is the "Mouser" catalog (and others) that I use for many discontinued items.

Reply to
azrock

Here are some possibilities. I do not how prices and shipping compare to Mouser or Digi-Key.

Click on Terminal Strips
?category_id=1104&czuid=1185568329449 They are also called barrier strips. You can search the web for both. Check shipping charges before you finalize the order. A wood screw through a flat washer would work also. Wires under the flat washer. It is a little crude but the wood will be a good insulator at the low voltages. Good luck.

gagnonrchrd

Now why didn't I think of that! Excellent idea- unfortunately it comes AFTER I've finished the wiring for a major expansion. Oh, well, use it next time! Thanks.

Reply to
Henry Murray

This place has a great sekection at a good price.

Tom McClellan

You might want to try

they have very good prices and are in Canada so you can take advantage of the exchange rate. PeteC

Reply to
PeteC

If you have access to them, I'd suggest using "euro" strips rather than barrier strips. They come in a variety of sizes, and the connection is completely surrounded, reducing the chance that a wire could "squeeze out" from under the screw of a regular strip.

The wires go in straight instead of being formed into a loop, making that part simpler, too.

You can see these in use in our club's "Power Vault", connecting the #12 feeders to the PM42s.:

Mark

Reply to
Mark Johnson

On 8/5/2007 10:42 AM Mark Johnson spake thus:

Kewl. Those seem very much like the bonding connectors used inside power distribution panels (aka "fuseboxes") here in the US. Those are a little bigger, as they're made for large wire sizes, #14 and up, but essentially the same idea: you loosen the screw, stich the bare end of the wire into the hole, then tighten the screw which smushed down on the wire. Simple and very effective. I'd think they'd work OK with the smaller wire gauges used on a layout.

One may be able to buy those bonding strips separately from a good electric supply house, if one were so inclined.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

don't defend them - that's not what the thread is about... they betrayed the radio community years ago and have become worse than circuit city et al because they double prices on a lot of needed items. Case in point - cell phone battery at radio shaft wikll run you $49. At any other cell phone store $22. I know i used to work at one...

Reply to
Big Rich Soprano