Terminal metalurgy

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 09:17:12 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner quickly quoth:

What'd you bring home for dinner, kids? Nothing, Mom. Sorry. They were all VAPORIZED!

-- You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus. -- Mark Twain

Reply to
Larry Jaques

As noted in the Youtube comments already, those things would leave precious little ballistic evidence. Enough to match the rifling?

-- Jeff R.

Reply to
Jeff R.

Sounds interesting for metallic targets. Wonder what it would do into a flat surface.

Martin

Mart>

Martin H. Eastburn

Disappear, I'd suggest.

-- JR

Reply to
Jeff R.

Highly unlikely. And the chances of a wounding, is slim to none. Unlike the old Accelerator rounds..sub caliber plastic saboted bullets, which also left few if any identifying marks on the sabots.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

Probably blow up too fast to get any sort of decent kinetic dump on the metalic target.

Which is why its possible to shoot a hole in a surplus road sign with a .22 pistol, but much less likely to do so with a 22 rifle.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

LOL!

Only a "surplus" road sign, though. :-)

-- JR

Reply to
Jeff R.

AFAIK, the varmint grenades were a direct result of a DoD requirement for ammo to practice close quarters live fire, without ricochet issues on steel targets. The military version, in any case.

I feel the need to buy a couple boxes of those and load then up. :-)

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

Those have to be a bit pricey substituting tin for lead. Not that lead is very cheap anymore.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

But of course, mon ami!

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

They say that Coyote & Bobcat pelts are virtually undamaged. I suppose that's because the fragments are too small to make it through the carcass? bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

They're $16 to $19 per hundred, only a couple of bux per hundred more than VMax and the like.

Reply to
Don Foreman

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 15:07:37 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Trevor Jones quickly quoth:

Yeah, they do look like fun.

I was online the other day and came across unleaded shotgun shells. I couldn't BELIEVE the price. $45 for a box of 20 shells! WTF,O?!? I don't recall what store it was.

-- Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it. Plan more than you can do, then do it. -- Anonymous

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yeah. Some of teh lead free stuff is expensive. Not all of it though.

IIRC the expensive stuff is supposed to be able to work in the barrels that won't handle steel, without damaging them.

Cheaper to buy filet mignon.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos showed that Gunner wrote on Sat, 26 Jan 2008 02:34:29

-0800 in rec.crafts.metalworking :

From what I heard, the bullet "explodes" because 'water' gets inside the hollow space and does it's thing. On an inert target (like a surplus road sign) - no water, ergo no rapid expansion. But that's just my understanding. I don't think these are meant for "light material engagement", that's still the purvey of Mr Barret's fine products.

pyotr

-- pyotr filipivich "I had just been through hell and must have looked like death warmed over walking into the saloon, because when I asked the bartender whether they served zombies he said, ?Sure, what'll you have?'" from I Hear America Swinging by Peter DeVries

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Lead and FMJ puts a gray spot on them. I'd expect a spray or array of copper. Martin

Mart>> Sounds interesting for metallic targets. Wonder what it would do

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Cavitation, eh?

Reply to
Dave

I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos showed that Gunner wrote on Mon, 28 Jan 2008 02:19:15

-0800 in rec.crafts.metalworking :

That's still some angular acceleration :-)

No wonder the bullet gets upset when it impacts something. All that angular moment getting wasted.

tschus pyotr

-- pyotr filipivich "I had just been through hell and must have looked like death warmed over walking into the saloon, because when I asked the bartender whether they served zombies he said, ?Sure, what'll you have?'" from I Hear America Swinging by Peter DeVries

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

You may note I picked a slow rate of twist. Some have 1:6, 1:8 etc..so the RPMs are even higher..significantly higher

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner