Wire terminal cap: square millimeters rating

Hi all, wire terminal caps with one entry and one screw, for electrical wire junction (whose English exact name I don't know), bear a rating of the
section of copper that can be fitted in it, printed on them.
It is only one number, such as e.g. 2.5 mm^2, 4mm^2 or 10 mm^2...
Is that the MAXIMUM or the MINIMUM amount of coper I can fit in?
I see that I can fit in almost double the declared amount of copper, e.g. in those declaring 2.5 I can put in up to about 4.5mm^2 of copper.
Instinctively it would seem to me that the smaller the cap the safer it is (wires can come accidentally off much less easily), so I would tend to think that the number they declare is the *minimum* amount of copper.
Can I fit as much copper as I can make physically enter the hole?
Thank you