STRIPS planning

Having finally finished Behavior-Based Robotics by Arkn, I have started on "Introduction to AI Robotics" by Robin Murphy, Arkin's student. The former is a wide review of the state of robotics in 1998. The later is more of a narative discusing AI issues from 2000.

Anyway, Murphy delves a bit into the advances in the hierarchical model before more familiar behavior based robotics, which we are all aware Brooks rather bashed when he introduced Behavior Based Robotics.

From the hierarchical model, I was quite surprized to read about

STRIPS. I found it very intuitive and intriguing. Perhaps because it also incorporated "states". Anyway, new to me.

Anyone else ever used STRIPS or used planning for their robot? Likes? Dislikes?

-- Randy M. Dumse

Objects in mirror are more confused than they appear

Reply to
RMDumse

I'm familar with that approach, but it's a longer subject than I have time for right now.

John Nagle

RMDumse wrote:

Reply to
John Nagle

Can you say if you've used it?

For reference, found by googling on "STRIPS planning": In the STRIPS representation, actions are represented as a set of preconditions, an add list, and a delete list. For an action to be carried out, all of its precondions must be true in the world. When the action is performed, items in the add list are added to the world's current state while items in the delete list are removed from it.

Applet here.

-- Randy M. Dumse

Objects in mirror are more confused than they appear- Hide quoted text

-
Reply to
RMDumse

Yes. I've done a blocks world for an industrial robot. It suffers from most of the usual weaknesses associated with predicate-calculus based AI. (Read the classic "Artificial intelligence meets natural stupidity" by Drew McDermott for background on this.) It may be useful for higher level planning, but don't try to use it for motion control.

John Nagle

Reply to
John Nagle

Actually, anybody that reads papers in the field of AI would be well advised to read Drew McDermott's paper.

-Wayne

Reply to
Wayne C. Gramlich

Found a nice discussion of STRIPS in _Artificial Intelligence, A New Synthesis_ by Nils Nilsson Ch22.

He also has a nice chapter on State Machines in Ch5.