cable carrier for tank treads ?

Has anyone ever successfully used the cable carrier stuff like found here http://www.hubbell-gleason.com/EngProd/PowerTrak.html
as tank treads for a small robot ? Just curious. Thanks ! JCD
    --Looks expensive. Howzabout using ladder chain or something similar instead?
--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Mostly somnambulent,
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : occasionally brilliant...

Sounds like a better idea to me! Thanks!
Pogo wrote:

Cable carrier isn't intended to be load-bearing. The joints are not designed to handle any significant load.
If the rubber tracked toys at the nearest Toys-R-Us are too small for what you need, check this out:
    http://www.mattracks.com
                    John Nagle
    --Neat stuff! I wonder if there's a 'Radio-Shack' sized version out there?
--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Mostly somnambulent,
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : occasionally brilliant...

I found this item on eBay: Item number: 290126995169 which indeed shows a Radio Shack sized version. From the description, looks like the Mattracks outfit used to make these, I guess ? Well, I'm not bidding on this one - bad as I want to - so go for it ! :-)
JCD
I figured i'd just hijack this topic rather than start a new one :-)
Where would you suggest tracks like this could be found?
http://www.pica.army.mil/PicatinnyPublic/news/images/highlights/SWORDSposter.jpg
I can't think of anything that could be adapted and so I guess DIY would be the only option.....
Cheers,
Michael

Don't shoot! I'll be glad to help !!! :-)

What size tracks you want ? Budget Robotics has some that are 21" long. Or do you need something the same size and durability as shown in the Talon tanks shown on the Army site ?

Here's a start: http://www.thistle.uk.com Which I found on this page: http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-38611.html Which I found by Google search on "robot tank treads" (no quotes).
The same forum page also mentioned BrecoFlex a good bit. Looks and sounds pricey - but could be what you need.
Tell us more and we will help more! JCD

Don't shoot! I'll be glad to help !!! :-)

http://www.pica.army.mil/PicatinnyPublic/news/images/highlights/SWORDSposter.jpg
What size tracks you want ? Budget Robotics has some that are 21" long. Or do you need something the same size and durability as shown in the Talon tanks shown on the Army site ?

Here's a start: http://www.thistle.uk.com Which I found on this page: http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-38611.html Which I found by Google search on "robot tank treads" (no quotes).
The same forum page also mentioned BrecoFlex a good bit. Looks and sounds pricey - but could be what you need.
Tell us more and we will help more! JCD
Hi,
I was just curious as to what was out there not really looking for an actual product.....
Cheers,
Michael
Michael wrote:

One word. Google.
                John Nagle
John Nagle wrote:

Have you ever actually tried to use G for something like this? You get very few decent hits for anything that isn't really obvious (treads for models for example), and virtually nothing for any alternative-use products such as snowmobiles.
-- Gordon

I agree, for the most part. Google is the Golden Goose, but ya gotta talk to it *just right* to get the Golden Egg! ( Dang I'm proud of that one! ) JCD
Pogo wrote:

Yes, a good one!
G has also developed some horrible corporate habits, while hiding behind a "first, do no evil" mantra. They don't mean it.
Better off using Yahoo or MSN or one of the smaller SEs. For some reason G thinks that for whatever I search for there's a book I want on the subject from Amazon.
-- Gordon

Yeah - even so, I'm still partial to Google. But I can't *stand* the GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe that stays resident even when there is no browser up! They should *ask my permission* to install that dang thing! Grrrrrr. I'm going to shutup now else I will rant & rave for several thousand words on this subject ...
JCD

Wow - my hijack has been hijacked :-)
I'll be honest and admit that I didn't look on Google - but I've looked for them in the past and know that what little info there is, is scattered about the place.
With the recent post on tracks and then seeing that picture in a forum just bought up my memories of trying to find something suitable.....(and failing miserably).
Michael

Kinda recursive, huh ? :-)
On Jun 11, 5:02 pm, "Michael"

In the lower-left-hand corner of the page, it says the manufacturer is Foster-Miller. Contacting them might be a start.
JM