buying pre-made couplers?

I've just read Dave Cook's chapter in "Robot Building for Beginners" on making couplers. I have exactly such a need as he describes: a surplus gearhead motor with a D-shaft, to which I want to connect a LEGO wheel (actually, a LEGO bevel gear which will drive a gear connected to the wheel, but once you get to LEGO parts it's all the same).

Now, his solution of making a custom coupler out of nested tubing is clever and appears to be a high-quality solution. It is also, probably, just barely, within my mechanical skills to do (though I'd need to get a drill press). And it's true, as many of you know, that I am a cheapskate on a tight budget.

However, lately time is even shorter than money, and making these couplers looks like a serious chore. I'd be happy to pay a couple bucks each to save myself the trouble.

So: is there anywhere I can buy couplers on the net, for common input and output shaft sizes, for not-too-ridiculous prices?

Thanks,

- Joe

Reply to
Joe Strout

Jameco's Robot Store has some at this link. They are for .25" shafts:

found that page (been at thier site many times before) by Googling this: shaft couplers robotics

Also, Gordon McComb's book "Robot Builder's Sourcebook" nad/or his column in Servo magazine is a goldmine of info just like this.

Best of luck ! JCD

Reply to
pogo

Well yes, but the point here isn't to couple two shafts of the same size

-- it's to couple two shafts of different sizes.

Actually, it's not at all clear to me what this item actually does:

What does it couple to what, exactly? It's got a funny shape, as if one side is intended to plug into something, but the description (such as it is) doesn't say what.

Best,

- Joe

Reply to
Joe Strout

Yep - I agree it doesn't describe the purpose very well at all. The point is to be able to use 2 different size shaft couplers, but the "funny shape" matches up in the middle and interlocks the 2 shafts, as well as adding a little tolerance for misalignment, etc. The photo at this link should make it clear:

This shows 2 couplers of the same size, but you can have different sizes bores but the middle part (rubber spider) is same size for each coupler.

Reply to
pogo

Joe:

I will tell you how I make my shaft adaptors. I use a drill press and a some taps. I know this is not a direct answer to your question, but I figure some other people can benefit even if you do not. Fair enough?

I start with some hex aluminum stock and cut off a short piece. I make three scribes across the stock to find the center. Using a center punch, I put a dimple in the center.

I clamp the hex stock vertically into the vice and select a drill that is the same size as the smaller shaft. I drill all the way through the stock. Next, I select a drill that is the same size as the larger shaft. Without removing the stock from the vice, I drill half way down the stock. The small shaft will fit snuggly from the bottom, and the the large shaft will fit snuggly from the top.

Now, I rotate the stock 90 degree and drill two small holes for two set screws. Using the appropriate sized taps, I tap the holes and install the set screws. If set screws are not available, I use a regular screw, it does not matter.

-Wayne

Reply to
Wayne C. Gramlich

Without knowing the diameters you're talking about or the torques involved it's hard to provide some suggestions. But for overall store-bought solutions try Stock Drive or Small Parts.

-- Gordon

Reply to
Gordon McComb

Joe,

My experience is, fitting a surplus motor to a wheel of random choice is pretty much a custom job. The coupler that you saw at Jameco is most likely designed for a specific wheel or motor.

You can get an idea of what it does and how you can make one by seeing below:

Enjoy......

Reply to
fenoble

Joe, would having some tubing that you would simply drill out the center to the appropriate diameter be within your skill set ? If so, I can think of an easy solution to your problem and could come up with a kit for you to test. If you're interested I'll provide more contact info later. JCD

Reply to
pogo