Motor advice

Hi all,

I am getting into robotics (been doing some basic PC interfacing and programming) and am going to start making some actual moving hardware. To start me off I a going to build something relatively simple. A friend has a video camera (about 1 kg) that mounts on the end of a home made crane and he would like to be able to pan and tilt the camera while it is out of reach on the end of the crane. I reckon I can make the mechanism and circuitry to do this (I was thinking of using PWM), but I do not know what motors to use. The speed needed for the camera will be about 0.05 metres/second, so not fast, but the movement needs to be smooth. I have narrowed it to these possibilities:

(sorry about the tinyurls, original URLS were far too long). As the motors are a rather large part of wether this project is sucessful or not I thought it best to ask for advice. What motors would people with more experience than me recommend and why? My budget would *just about* stretch to £20 per motor, but the less they cost the better.

Also, how do I attach cogs etc. to the output shafts of motors/gearboxes? This has been puzzling me for quite a while and I can't quite figure it out. I read somewhere (after much googling) that epoxy resin was the thing to use, but this sounded a bit strange.

Many thanks Will.

Reply to
will

Sorry about replying to my own post, but I have just noticed that it is impossible (or so it seems) to send a link to any product on the RS Supplies website because of their completely braindead session handling.

The motors I was looking at were in the 'Automation/Motors/Motor Controllers/General Purpose d.c. Motors' category of

Will.

Reply to
will

The URLs didn't work.

Are you talking about servo's or DC motors? If you want servo's, HiTec makes some good ones that aren't too expensive, in a range of sizes and torques. These all come with a nice little output gear and some various fittings for it.

If you need a DC Motor, I'd go ahead and buy one with teh right gearbox built in. Building a gearbox by hand is nearly impossible unless you're an incredibly skilled technician with a lot of shop equipment handy.

To attach the drive shaft to a wheel, you can use an ordinary hardware coupler. See the book "Building Robot Drive Trains".

Reply to
Mark Haase

Yeah, sorry, talked to RS about it, apparently it is a 'security' measure. Hmmm.

Thanks, I am ordering it from Amazon.

Will.

Reply to
will