using rod plastic in glue gun ?

I was using some hot glue to pour into a mold to see how a part would turn out, and it occured to me that *maybe* I could use some plastic that comes in a rod shape of the right diameter in the glue gun to do the same thing. Has anyone done this with any success ? If so, what kind of plastic and where did you get it ?
The gun I am using is the cheapest you could get a few years ago, so I don't even know how hot it gets, which I am sure would be an issue depending on the type of plastic.
Thanks ! JCD
Pogo wrote:

out, and it occured to me that *maybe* I could use some plastic that comes in a rod shape of the right diameter in the glue gun to do the same thing. Has anyone done this with any success ? If so, what kind of plastic and where did you get it ?

even know how hot it gets, which I am sure would be an issue depending on the type of plastic.
Glue gun sticks are *already* made of plastic, and that's what you should use. They only call them "glue" because the melting/cooling has a glue-like effect.
You probably won't get good results with just a glue gun, but you can try. I'd get the big dual-temp kind. Harbor Freight has them. There are many other types of glue sticks you can buy, with all kinds of properties. All are really formulations of plastic.
To do this right you need a hot glue pot, like this one:
http://www.peakcandle.com/products/Glue-Pot__A1031.aspx
If you don't have the pellets you can chop up glue sticks.
-- Gordon

I halfway suspected that. Cool! My next question was gonna be if the glue sticks could be remelted and used again - to go through several iterations of : pour glue sticks into mold modify that molded part cast new mold remelt glue stick and cast in new mold, etc. repeat until mold for part is perfect

Looks interesting and in my price range! Good info - thanks! JCD
Pogo wrote:

Too much re-heating breaks down the plastic. It's best to heat what you need to melting, and throw away what you don't use. Or if you're really thrifty limit it to just one re-melt.
-- Gordon
Hot glue is one of several different techniques that you can use to make your own castings.
For more information check out Yahoogroups "casting".
And books: "Molding & Casting Handbook" by Thurston James. "The Mouldmakers Handbook" by Jean-Pierre Delpech...
Note different spellings.
Search on "moldmaking supplies" for stuff like RTV silicones and other moldmaking / casting supplies.
DOC

Pogo wrote:

out, and it occured to me that *maybe* I could use some plastic that comes in a rod shape of the right diameter in the glue gun to do the same thing. Has anyone done this with any success ? If so, what kind of plastic and where did you get it ?

even know how hot it gets, which I am sure would be an issue depending on the type of plastic.

I've never tried them, but these guys have a bunch of molding/casting supplies: http://freemansupply.com /
- Daniel

Cool site and products! I'm really interested in the machinable wax. Thanks !