Electrical conduit on the floor ?

I want to run EMT conduit along my concrete floor to power my lathe. The arrangement is such that I'm not worried about someone tripping over it. But it is possible that water could leak because of a broken pipe, hole in the roof, etc. and come into contact with the wiring. I plan on using compression fittings and making the conduit as water tight as I can.

Does anyone know if the national electrical code permits installing conduit on the floor? I borrowed the 2002 NEC Handbook from the local library, but I can't find any mention of where conduit should be installed. The book is

1200 pages and the index didn't help. Which chapter should I look in?
Reply to
AL

Conduit can be and frequently is placed below ground level (mostly plastic these days), so I can't see a problem with what you propose. There might be a local requirement for direct burial rated wire, and you certainly wouldn't want junctions that weren't water proof on the floor if there was a potential for flooding.

I've had THC in cemented plastic conduit for an underground conduit approved, but local regulations can be different. I'd suggest checking with your local inspection department.

Reply to
Jim Levie

Article 358 contains the requirements for installing EMT. I would be concerned with 358.12(1) which states that EMT is not permitted in areas subject to severe physical damage. That right there would cause me to run IMC or RMC on floors. To take care of the water, make sure the wire you use is listed as THWN. Table 310.13 has all the types of wires and where they can be used.

Nate

--

Nate Weber

Reply to
william_b_noble

. >I'd suggest

I second that.

I'm having problems with the fire dept. over code. The bottom line is what ever the inspector will except. The code is often left up to the inspectors "interpretation" of said code. It's his way or the high way.

Randy Hansen

Reply to
Randy H.

I usually assume that below grade conduit is full of water and am often right. It seldom causes a problem. Use a type of wire with "W" in the designation, avoid splices, and all will be fine.

Vaughn

Reply to
Vaughn

I don't know what the code says, but have you considered using rigid conduit instead of EMT? It is more like iron pipe than tubing and uses pipe threads to make connections.

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman

Reply to
R. Wink

Have you considered flexible liquid tight conduit?

Ron Thompson On the Beautiful Florida Space Coast, right beside the Kennedy Space Center, USA

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.

--Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Reply to
Ron Thompson

I agree that he should use it BUT it's a BUNCH more $$ now, the conduit prices have gone OUT OF SIGHT!! A 10' of 1.5" ridgid is over $50 at the wholesale supply here in Iowa OUTCH!!!

William.....

Reply to
William

A possibility you might look into to get you around elctrical codes is a more elaborate form of extension cord. In other words a good robust length of cab-tyre covered where it crosses the floor with some of that heavy duty poly cable protector used in computer rooms. The size you would need is about an inch and a half high and four inches wide, formed like a very shallow inverted U. You glue it to the floor with silicone and it will protect the cable, minimize the probability of your tripping over it and allow equipment like welding carts to be wheeled over it without trouble.

Reply to
John Ings

EMT should not come in contact with a floor as it will rust. If you can keep it above the floor/away from moisture it should be fine.

Dave

TeamCasa

EMT is galvanized.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I have seen it mounted on the floor and supported with Kindorf channel. It holds the conduit about 1 1/2 inches above the floor. It was to local code.

Reply to
Tm
ðx?]UïoÛF ý®¿???&Ál?ëåG?¢i?ÛÚuh½õ3-ÑÒÁç;íîÍýë÷x?? lç(Þ#ùøH}r´nû-®è÷ÞÒÅbñ?.?7«åÍù9ýúq=£Xù?ÞD??e´eë÷B§_ÔHúàj¶gÅ|??¢xe^?kÒËgÿö>½\ ïï8òx¢g6½¬ù^Þ$Ø+Øk?J½@C0Iâ?çæõ>ï>®)¶¾·59?¨ÒØÆá×%® &µ?µÞâHFMÖRèc*é·-|O;?tßcÙ7þ^(µ2B
Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Sorry Charlie, but only the best get to be Star Kissed.

EMT is definitely NOT galvanized.

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I must agree that it IS galvanized. Try welding to it and you will find out.

Reply to
Shawn

And it still rusts when in contact with wet concrete floors. Or wet ground

Gunner

"The entire population of Great Britain has been declared insane by their government. It is believed that should any one of them come in possession of a firearm, he will immediately start to foam at the mouth and begin kiling children at the nearest school. The proof of their insanity is that they actually believe this." -- someone in misc.survivalism

Reply to
Gunner

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

Can't you run the cable across the ceiling and then drop down to your lathe?

John

Reply to
John Manders