Looking for small DC gearmotor

Before I start my hunt through the great used machine places here, (I am sooo lucky) I thought somebody might have a DC gearmotor laying around that you might sell. I need about 1/10 or so hp at @100 rpm or whatever. I can adjust the final ratio in the business end. I also need the drive. I need to build a preliminary wire drive to unspool 3 flat wires, .115" x .017", from powered unspoolers to a linear drive on the machine I'm feeding. The feed on the machine is too fast, 3" in 1/10 second. The dancers on the power unspoolers have too much mass to provide wire smoothly. The gearmotor will provide a buffer loop between the unspoolers and the wire feed. Now, I have an employee hand feeding the buffer...ouch!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

--Head on over to the surplus catalogs; they're selling truck windshield wiper motors that will do this nicely; they're less than ten bucks with the gearbox, too.

Reply to
steamer

Thanks Ed! I was wondering what to use for a generator to connect to a new steam engine. Something from the automobile trade should do nicely. Oh wait - I'm talking a pretty small generator though. The little engine should be good for about 1/2 HP on 30 #s of steam. I had thought about a bicycle generator, but it'd be hard to belt up to speed.

Bob Swinney

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Power window motors are another option.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Jess sez: "Power window motors are another option." Good idea. I could toss the reduction gearing.

Bob Sw> > --Head on over to the surplus catalogs; they're selling truck

Reply to
Robert Swinney

I have one thats AC...

Reply to
Kevin Beitz

Thanks, but I need fine speed controll. Wiper motors and automotive stuff means too much adapting and replacing would be a bitch to find the same thing. I'll check out used or get from Grainger, that way I can replace it with a phone call

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Reply to
larry g

For Tom's problem, windshield wiper motors are out because they won't live long at high loads and continuous running. (Though you might make one live a while longer if you drill a bunch of strategically placed holes in the case and add a muffin fan to convert it from TENV to Air-Over.

I don't think even a truck-sized wiper motor would last too long being used as a mini-generator either - including the problem that it's hard to drive a worm-gear speed reducer in reverse, and wiper motors are worm drives.

For getting 12V output from a steam engine, you'll probably have to do it the hard way, with a small car alternator and a step-up gear or belt drive stage or two to get roughly 1500 - 3000 RPM to the alternator shaft. Though if you can't find one small enough (30A?) it may take a little custom electronics work (like a small wire-wound variable resistor) to limit the field current and avoid stalling the steam engine if the voltage regulator kicks full field.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

This is all you need to do the job

Reply to
TLKALLAM8

Sewing machine motor ? Good duty cycle . Good speed control . Easy to locate parts . Luck Ken Cutt

Reply to
Ken Cutt

Tom, I have some near new 110vt Bodine PWM drives and gearhead motors. Variable speed and 82 rpm max. I think they are about 1/2hp.

I can send you one and see if it works for you. I believe the drives will carry up to a 5 hp motor and at least one motor has a chain sprocket already mounted on it.

I was wanting to find a standard 1725 PWM motor to use with one of the drives for a Weiler turret lathe, so the other is surplus to me. Make me an offer via email, or simply pay for the shipping (probably

25 lbs) and we can work it out later. "The entire population of Great Britain has been declared insane by their government. It is believed that should any one of them come in possession of a firearm, he will immediately start to foam at the mouth and begin kiling children at the nearest school. The proof of their insanity is that they actually believe this." -- someone in misc.survivalism
Reply to
Gunner

--Plan B: go to HF and buy a VSR hand drill for $10.- and gut it. It's got a FET on a little circuit board for speed control, etc. We're hacking these in my robot building class.

Reply to
steamer

In this setting, I need robustness. I need to go industrial duty cuz I don't want to f*ck with it again (for a while)

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I wonder how well a friction drive running on the outside perimeter of the flywheel would work...? --Glenn Lyford

Reply to
Glenn Lyford

Tom, email me your info again. I evidently have the new computer down in LA set to delete emails off the server..as it didnt show up at home tonight.. Ill try to get a unit out to you this week. Ill email you the model number etc tommorow

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there. - George Orwell

Reply to
Gunner

Annoyingly I have a couple of 1/10hp 100rpm 50V DC gearmotors in my garage... The annoying thing is that I'm on the wrong side of the pond!

Regards Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

You're just a tease!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

--Then buy a better brand of hand drill! All the stuff you need's in there... :-)

Reply to
steamer

Annoyed at the size of the world really. I will use the ball-screws and linear slides that the motors were attached to, but the motors may never get used. If we were nearer, I'd send them.

Reply to
Mark Rand