Looking for small DC gearmotor

Before I start my hunt through the great used machine places here, (I am sooo lucky) I thought somebody might have a DC gearmotor laying around that
you might sell. I need about 1/10 or so hp at @100 rpm or whatever. I can adjust the final ratio in the business end. I also need the drive. I need to build a preliminary wire drive to unspool 3 flat wires, .115" x .017", from powered unspoolers to a linear drive on the machine I'm feeding. The feed on the machine is too fast, 3" in 1/10 second. The dancers on the power unspoolers have too much mass to provide wire smoothly. The gearmotor will provide a buffer loop between the unspoolers and the wire feed. Now, I have an employee hand feeding the buffer...ouch!
--
<<< I went to buy some camouflage trousers the other day but I couldn't find
any.

    --Head on over to the surplus catalogs; they're selling truck windshield wiper motors that will do this nicely; they're less than ten bucks with the gearbox, too.
--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Somewhere in Texas a
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : village has lost an idiot...

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 14:08:22 -0500, "Robert Swinney"

For Tom's problem, windshield wiper motors are out because they won't live long at high loads and continuous running. (Though you might make one live a while longer if you drill a bunch of strategically placed holes in the case and add a muffin fan to convert it from TENV to Air-Over.
I don't think even a truck-sized wiper motor would last too long being used as a mini-generator either - including the problem that it's hard to drive a worm-gear speed reducer in reverse, and wiper motors are worm drives.
For getting 12V output from a steam engine, you'll probably have to do it the hard way, with a small car alternator and a step-up gear or belt drive stage or two to get roughly 1500 - 3000 RPM to the alternator shaft. Though if you can't find one small enough (30A?) it may take a little custom electronics work (like a small wire-wound variable resistor) to limit the field current and avoid stalling the steam engine if the voltage regulator kicks full field.
--<< Bruce >>--
Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700

I wonder how well a friction drive running on the outside perimeter of the flywheel would work...? --Glenn Lyford
steamer wrote:

Power window motors are another option.
Jeff
--
Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Jess sez: "Power window motors are another option." Good idea. I could toss the reduction gearing.
Bob Swinney

I have one thats AC...
Thanks, but I need fine speed controll. Wiper motors and automotive stuff means too much adapting and replacing would be a bitch to find the same thing. I'll check out used or get from Grainger, that way I can replace it with a phone call
--
<<There are 10 kinds of people...Those that understand binary and those that
don't>>
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Somewhere in Texas a
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : village has lost an idiot...

In this setting, I need robustness. I need to go industrial duty cuz I don't want to f*ck with it again (for a while)
On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 19:39:12 GMT, "Tom Gardner"

Tom, email me your info again. I evidently have the new computer down in LA set to delete emails off the server..as it didnt show up at home tonight.. Ill try to get a unit out to you this week. Ill email you the model number etc tommorow
Gunner
That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.         - George Orwell
    --Then buy a better brand of hand drill! All the stuff you need's in there... :-)
--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Somewhere in Texas a
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : village has lost an idiot...
Tom I have a small Bodine gear motor with a speed control that is yours for a few good brushes. Top speed is ~17 rpm, may be to slow for your needs. lg no neat sig line
rpm or whatever. I can

need
gearmotor
find
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category &209&item8259341 19&rd=1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category &209&item8259341 19&rd=1 This is all you need to do the job
Tom Gardner wrote:

Sewing machine motor ? Good duty cycle . Good speed control . Easy to locate parts . Luck Ken Cutt
On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 16:51:28 GMT, "Tom Gardner"

Tom, I have some near new 110vt Bodine PWM drives and gearhead motors. Variable speed and 82 rpm max. I think they are about 1/2hp.
I can send you one and see if it works for you. I believe the drives will carry up to a 5 hp motor and at least one motor has a chain sprocket already mounted on it.
I was wanting to find a standard 1725 PWM motor to use with one of the drives for a Weiler turret lathe, so the other is surplus to me. Make me an offer via email, or simply pay for the shipping (probably 25 lbs) and we can work it out later. "The entire population of Great Britain has been declared insane by their government. It is believed that should any one of them come in possession of a firearm, he will immediately start to foam at the mouth and begin kiling children at the nearest school. The proof of their insanity is that they actually believe this." -- someone in misc.survivalism

Annoyingly I have a couple of 1/10hp 100rpm 50V DC gearmotors in my garage... The annoying thing is that I'm on the wrong side of the pond!
Regards Mark Rand RTFM
You're just a tease!
rpm or whatever. I can

need
The
gearmotor
Now, I

garage...

Annoyed at the size of the world really. I will use the ball-screws and linear slides that the motors were attached to, but the motors may never get used. If we were nearer, I'd send them.