Looking for a good small switcher

List:
I'm in temporarily downsized quarters, building an HO shelf switching layout, about 1' x 10'
I'm looking for a good small switcher. I'm not gonna put DCC on this
layout (unless I'm here MUCH longer) but it's an eventual goal, so I want a reliable DC runner that's not too horrendous for DCC installation.
As I'm not certain of availability of suitable equipment, I'm leaving the question of prototype open until I know what's available.
I'm open to steam and diesel suggestions.
I was thinking of something in the EMD SW/NW/YadaYadaW series of switchers, but a 44-tonner, Industrial, or Docksider would fit the plan if DCC installation isn't too difficult.
Thanks
Charles
Ugh.
Diseasles.
Bachmann's Spectrum line has a nice 0-6-0 takn engine switcher that would be ideal for such a layout. While not DCC equipped, it is DCCible if you want to add it later.
--
Jim McLaughlin

Reply address is deliberately munged.
On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 22:33:47 -0600, Charles Krug wrote:

Like a Proto 2000 SW9/1200? TTX has an easily installed decoder for about $26 or so:
http://www.tonystrains.com/download/man-sw9-booklet.pdf
--
Steve

The bachman 44 or 70 tonners are great for this... Or maybe an SW-1? I've seen some of all 3 on eBay...
Charles K :
I used to run a 1' x 4' switching layout with a secondhand Mantua Booster. It worked well, and was about $10 at a train show. One motor brush is grounded to the chassis; to DCC it, slip a piece of electrical insulation over the retainer spring and add another feeder wire. This goes for most open-frame motors. Model Power is now selling the similar Mantua saddle-tank 0-6-0T which is simply a Booster with an added axle.
Some recent experiments I've done with a Life-Like Teakettle have convinced me that this engine and their Docksider with a similar drive can run excellently if remotored.
Older Mantua/Tyco 'Plymouth' switchers are plentiful and cheap - $5 at hobby shows is typical - and the MU-2 truck can be made to run pretty well.
The newer Bachmann 'Plymouth' six wheel diesel was shown to me at a model shop, and appears to run quite smoothly and slowly.
Model Power has two 4-wheel diesel switchers and an 0-4-0T. I don't know how well or badly these run. Bowser also has a B&O 'Dockside' 0-4-0T. Again, I don't know how it runs, but it has a can motor and a reasonably good mechanism; probably it's okay.
If you can find one (I can't) the MDC boxcab or Climax are said to be noisy but slow and strong runners. They are quite small locos. MDC also made an 0-6-0T kit.
The nice thing about these small switchers is that they don't take up much space...and space is what you don' t have much of.
Cordially yours: Gerard P.
My 2 cents is usually only worth 1 cent when it comes to motive power.
Since I'm DCC "stupid" I can't say anything about whether they are an easy fit but I have been able over the past year to collect 5 Atlas S-1' ( or 2' s? ) from Ebay. Some I paid as little as $35 ( new) and was able to get a used one for under $25. ( God how I love Ebay )
The Proto 2000 switchers that I have purchased are beautiful and even though run well, They have a hard time ( for me ) pulling more than 12-14 weighted cars in and out the yard. Doubling them up is protypical, but to "me", I'd rather switch with one loco.
Regards.
The Village idiot
Here are some listed right now ( no, none of these are mine )
http://cgi.ebay.com/ATLAS-MODEL-TRAIN-WESTERN-PACIFIC-ALCO-S-2-553-POWERED_W0QQitemZ6027279537QQcategoryZ19131QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/Atlas-HO-scale-C-O-S-2-Road-9173_W0QQitemZ6027884848QQcategoryZ19131QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/Atlas-HO-scale-C-O-S-2-Road-9173_W0QQitemZ6027884848QQcategoryZ19131QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/ATLAS-S-1-SWITCHER-NH-NEW-HAVEN_W0QQitemZ6028128436QQcategoryZ19131QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Like I said, I'm DCC "stupid" but these are by far my favorite locos for switching duties. Heavy enough to pull and spot many cars without having to apply "more sand".
Oh go ahead Mike, tell him the truth.
You have a whole stable of BL-2's - and you absolutely love them!!!
Yea, I have a stable full of Bl2's..................it's what the horses left on the floor.
Of course I do have that clock hanging on a wall at the club................
On 11 Jan 2006 07:47:41 -0800, the OTHER Mike wrote:

Maybe a well-weighted 0-8-0?
--
Steve

Big Rich Soprano wrote:

I've got a few P2K SW9/1200's, and they run pretty well. As someone else mentioned, Tony's sells a "house brand" of the NCE board-replacement decoder for these locos.
I've also got two Atlas S2's, also decent runners, and put board-replacement decoders in these as well (also from Tony's,I think).
Don't have any of the Bachmann's or the SW-1 so no first-hand experience to relate. But I've heard that that some Bachmann "??-Tonner" (don't remember which) was revamped and is now *much* easier to decoderize. It may bear some investigation should you decide to go that route.
I've also heard that the SW-1 requires some *serious* motor isolation for DCC use. Again, something for you to investigate.
Stevert
I love my Steward Hobbies VO1000. Also very easy to put in a decoder in, use a KRS-SR decoder which simply plugs in...
Scott

Hi Charles,
All depends how much you want to pay, which era you model, and how long you're prepared to wait.
As far as diesels are concerned...:
For modern era Atlas has a new MP15DC and Athearn has a new MP15AC coming. Both are or will be available with or without sound.
Broadway Limited makes some nice NW2 and SW series switchers with and without sound.
Athearn is re-releasing the EMD Model 40 in its Roundhouse range... http://www.roundhousetrains.com/Search/Default.aspx?SearchTerm=Model+40&CatID=THLD
Stewart hobbies, now a division of Bowser, makes many different switchers of different sizes.
JJL Models makes a very nice model of the Alco HH660 switcher; this is based on an Life-Like S-1 drive. http://www.jjlmodels.com /
http://www.jjlmodels.com/Products/AlcoHH660/HH660ThursTrains480_285.jpg
You may also be able to find a second hand Fairbanks Morse H10-44 or H12-44 on eBay. These were made by Walthers a number of years ago. Walthers also made an SW series switcher that was quite nice.
You have too much choice ;-)
Cheers,
Colin