Atheran Big Boy

So it seems Athearn will be coming out with a Big Boy. I'm sure it will be really nice like the Challenger. It's sure to be less than the Trix and better than an old Riva. I'm sure I'll want one but I'm not going to go wild with anticipation. Another Big Boy already? What I'm really looking forward to is the Spectrum 4-4-0 and hoping some one will make an ordinary medium sized 2-8-0 that's a good prospect for bashing. Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Favinger

Bruce like you I would like to see a "Good" 2-8-0 suitable for Bashing into a UP 2-8-0 but how about a " Harriman" style 2-8-2 or better still a Little 800 [ EFE-1 ] There are a lot of locos to be made than another Big Boy but I guess it's the 'big' stuff that sells. Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Donaldson

it will be

Trix and

going to go wild

looking forward

ordinary medium

Gakk!! Not another Big Boy!

Is anyone ever going to do a decent DCC ready, or equiped, 2-6-0 Mogul or 2-6-2 Prairie for us folks with limited space??

Len

Reply to
Len

Malcolm,

I have a project on the board creating a 4-8-2+2-8-4 Garratt by kit bashing a couple of 0-8-0 Rivarossi chassis'. The Rivarossi 8 wheel driver assemblies have excellent pulling capabilities, the chassis alone with the weight removed, would still pull 10 cars around an uneven test track.

Dave S Cal

Reply to
L.Hamilton Silkitis

Reply to
Jon Miller

Jon, What about the Bachman 2-10-0, 4-6-0, the coming 4-4-0 the P2K 0-8-0 and

0-6-0 in addition to the Bachmann 2-8-0. These all cost considerably less than the larger steam models to come out recently. Apparently Bachmann did ok with the smaller locomotives to have made the decision to bring out the even smaller 4-4-0. Smaller locomotives have generally always cost less than big locomotives and probably cost less to make too. Bruce

years

Reply to
Bruce Favinger

Bruce:

If you're trying to make an UP 2-8-0 the Penn Line or Bowser PRR H9, of all things, might be a good starting point. It has similar proportions to some UP consolidations, despite the firebox and dome placement.

Cordially yours: Gerard P.

Reply to
pawlowsk002

Jon M. :

I would guess that there was some cost difference, though. I can see it costing practically the same amount to design a fairly modern 4-4-0 and a 4-8-8-4, and to make the injection- molding and die-casting tooling, although with more wheels the tooling may cost somewhat more for the Big Boy. Labor costs for molding would probably be similar; the larger model, with more parts, though, would have a more elaborate sprue, probably costing more to trim. It would take more material, as well, than the smaller model. The larger model would need more machined parts - 16 driver tires rather than 4, for example - and this would add to cost. Assembly would take much longer, and it is one of the most expensive processes in making something elaborate like a model. Finally, the larger model would have more opportunities for quality control problems and breakage, adding to its cost still more.

So, while you can't price them by the pound like potatoes (or prototype steam locomotives), the big models would indeed cost more to make, but it certainly makes sense that a builder would find more customers for a $300 Big Boy that cost $150 to produce than a $100

0-6-0 that cost $80 -- it's the same reason the automakers push their big vehicles...

Cordially yours: Gerard P.

Reply to
pawlowsk002

Which Bachman 2-8-0 are you referring to? It's been a while since I've looked, but the only one I know if is the old Reading or GN one with the wide firebox. Is there a newer one?

dlm

Reply to
Dan Merkel

spectrum Item No.: 83601 Name: Baldwin 2-8-0 Consolidation

Reply to
Jon Miller

YES, the much newer "Spectrum" 2-8-0 model (now itself several years old).

The old Reading one was pretty much junk.

The new one is MUCH better, and was the first of the new generation, far better, steam locos now available. It has no prototype, but is similar to several LARGE 2-8-0's. While not quite 'state of the art' anymore, it's still a nice loco.

The fundamental design is fine, but early samples had typical Bachmann quality control problems. Still, it was a HUGE step up for them .. really their first quality HO product.

Most newer 'Spectrum' steamers are even better.

Dan Mitchell ============

Reply to
Daniel A. Mitchell