Electro etch

OK, so I tried some electro-etch last night, as Chilla suggested. Used beeswax for the resist, a small battery charger for voltage, and dilute HCl as electrolyte. When the knife was the anode (positive terminal), I got a very nice, quick etch, I assume the reaction is something like Fe -> Fe(+3) + 3e- (or some other oxidation state of Fe); the cathode bubbled, I suppose according to 2H+ + 2e- ->

H2(g).

Now, I have heard that if the polarity is reversed, the metal can be imprinted (not etched) with a black mark. I tried this, and after quite a long time could only see the faintest hint of a mark. Is some different electrolyte required? What is the reaction occurring? (Is it just a plating reaction? That would suggest a different electrolyte is required...)

Thanks,

Kelly

Reply to
kellyjones1

This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII Meets all EPA regulations for clean air Using only naturally occuring fibers Use the Message with confidance. (Some settling may occure in transit.) (Best if Used before May 13, 2009)

Reply to
Gunner