Encoders

Anyone know of a source for fairly inexpensive 1000 line encoders? I have an Old Hurco KMB1 Bx machine that someone at one or another converted back to a B machine for some reason. So now it has 200 line encoders and I need 1000 line. 1/2" Hollow shaft, 1000 line, A,B + index, seems generic enough. I used to have a catalog from a surplus servo vendor that always had a good selection, but I can't seem to find it now....

Reply to
oldjag

have a look at US digital, they had the cheapest style encoder I was looking for.

K Ludger

1/2" is a relatively large bore. If you can't find what you need surplus and have the room, a smaller encoder with a coupling will be cheaper. Automation Direct is the least expensive source I know of for encoders with a housing that I'd trust inside a machine tool.
If you need the half inch bore and need to buy new, I think you're stuck with BEI, or Encoder Products, or any number of similar suppliers, but I think you're looking at north of $400 in that case.

Ned Simmons

Check with Renco, they have a new line of lower-priced encoders, including some hollow shaft models. Quite a bit cheaper that the "name brand" jobs, especially for going inside enclosures.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Yup. If the encoder goes on the tail end of a motor, or similar installation -- i.e., doesn't need bearings and a rugged housing, a Renco kit or modular encoder is the way to go.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

I'm curious, I've always used USdigital encoders in these situations. I'm sure you and Jon know more about it that I do. Any reason you shy away from this vendor?

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

There are a surprising number of encoder mfrs in the US and a bunch more in Japan and Germany. I mentioned a couple I'm familiar with and who have delivered what they've promised. If you're happy with USdigital, I'll add them to my list.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Well, back in the day where BEI, DRC, Heidenhain, etc. were nearly the only game in town, you didn't have much choice but US Digital and eBay. I was never very impressed with US Digital quality, and would not want them on a machine that could hurt me. Renco encoders are used in serious commercial CNC gear, like inside $2000 brushless motors by major labels. Renco has always been mid-priced, but they have recently come out with some very nice encoders well under $100 each. (These are "kit" encoders, just a disc and a read head in a protective cover. But, they are great for inside a motor housing, or if you provide your own dust/splash cover.)

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson