Encoders

Anyone know of a source for fairly inexpensive 1000 line encoders? I have an Old Hurco KMB1 Bx machine that someone at one or another
converted back to a B machine for some reason. So now it has 200 line encoders and I need 1000 line. 1/2" Hollow shaft, 1000 line, A,B + index, seems generic enough. I used to have a catalog from a surplus servo vendor that always had a good selection, but I can't seem to find it now....

have a look at US digital, they had the cheapest style encoder I was looking for.
www.usdigital.com
On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 17:53:43 -0800 (PST), oldjag

1/2" is a relatively large bore. If you can't find what you need surplus and have the room, a smaller encoder with a coupling will be cheaper. Automation Direct is the least expensive source I know of for encoders with a housing that I'd trust inside a machine tool. http://web5.automationdirect.com/adc/Overview/Catalog/Sensors_-z-_Encoders/Encoders
If you need the half inch bore and need to buy new, I think you're stuck with BEI, or Encoder Products, or any number of similar suppliers, but I think you're looking at north of $400 in that case.
http://www.beiied.com/main-product.html http://www.encoder.com/quickreference.html
--
Ned Simmons

oldjag wrote:

Check with Renco, they have a new line of lower-priced encoders, including some hollow shaft models. Quite a bit cheaper that the "name brand" jobs, especially for going inside enclosures.
Jon

Yup. If the encoder goes on the tail end of a motor, or similar installation -- i.e., doesn't need bearings and a rugged housing, a Renco kit or modular encoder is the way to go.
--
Ned Simmons

I'm curious, I've always used USdigital encoders in these situations. I'm sure you and Jon know more about it that I do. Any reason you shy away from this vendor?
Karl
On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 11:24:32 -0600, "Karl Townsend"

There are a surprising number of encoder mfrs in the US and a bunch more in Japan and Germany. I mentioned a couple I'm familiar with and who have delivered what they've promised. If you're happy with USdigital, I'll add them to my list.
--
Ned Simmons

Karl Townsend wrote:

Well, back in the day where BEI, DRC, Heidenhain, etc. were nearly the only game in town, you didn't have much choice but US Digital and eBay. I was never very impressed with US Digital quality, and would not want them on a machine that could hurt me. Renco encoders are used in serious commercial CNC gear, like inside $2000 brushless motors by major labels. Renco has always been mid-priced, but they have recently come out with some very nice encoders well under $100 each. (These are "kit" encoders, just a disc and a read head in a protective cover. But, they are great for inside a motor housing, or if you provide your own dust/splash cover.)
Jon