Escape the rat race

Monday is soylent rat day.

John

Reply to
John Scheldroup

No, Oregon is the land of planning. We have a state wide planning. To own farming land, you must earn like $80,000 from I think 10 acres in order to have a home on it. Many folks in Oregon bought a 5 or 10 acre parcel back in the 60-70's and then the land use planning changed and these folks found out they could NOT build and live on their own land in retirement. One lady bout 40 acres up off forest park in Portland, back in the 50's. Would be worth millions, but they changed it to forest land only and now she lives on Social security. We just passed our measure 37, which says if you can't use the land as it was zoned originally, then the government either needs to pay you the difference, or make a waiver so you can use the land anyway. All the politicians are screaming this is the end of the world. They love planning. We have an urban growth boundry around the bigger cities, and anything outside the line cannot be used for anything but agricultural use. Its farmland, only. They want dense urban areas, and lots of open spaces. Kinda ridiculous considering people only own about 6% of all the land area in Oregon. The state and fed own the rest. Welcome to Moscow on the Willamette. Jon

Reply to
Jon

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 18:17:42 GMT, Gunner calmly ranted:

Quite a few, it seems. I see half a dozen ads in the local paper for them, all licensed. And the local paper is who clued me in. I was asked for a license number and when I couldn't produce one, they said they couldn't run the ad. I was floored even more when I checked out the actual requirements and came up with that figure.

-------------------------------------------------------- Murphy was an Optimist ----------------------------

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 23:01:07 GMT, pyotr filipivich calmly ranted:

Now THERE is a novel idea.

Good one. Today's is good, too. And speaking of awards, I believe the question to ask TIME mag for their POTY choice is "WHAT WERE YOU _THINKING_?!?"

-------------------------------------------------------- Murphy was an Optimist ----------------------------

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Hey, you probably have a NJ Turnpike/Garden State Parkway view of NJ. NJ is 20% agricultural. We're #2 in blueberry production, something like #3 in cranberry production, #4 or #5 in peach production, and so on.

The real people-packing is mostly in the northeast corner and the southwest corner, plus a strip along the seashore.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

1984 tuition costs were I believe around 9k.../year undergrad study in Aerospace engineering... Federal loans more easily had for young people of his RACE. With papers to be mailed he says a big not!, so there goes his high pitched excitement at Boston's theme park of higher learning. Now in retrospect he sees this was just one in series of psychotic episodes throughout his life that inevitably brought progress to a screatching halt. It has taken several years to put a cap on these Psychotic outbreaks, today the focus seems good as he finally has a clear path to travel, and there is nothing strange about it. The newer common sense approach has consumed more time then expected

John

Reply to
John Scheldroup

I can understand the people packing thing..as cranberries grow in swamps....

Gunner

"Gunner, you are the same ridiculous liberal f--k you ever where." Scipio

Reply to
Gunner

Right, but before you do the twenty percent, you need to remove the dioxin-contaminated districts. Once that's done, overall it winds up being about 0.2% agricultual. I think that's my dad's garden anyway. :)

That's where I grew up, the very northeast corner of the state. It's actually still pretty rural.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

What, no mention of building-foundations? :-)

Wayne

Reply to
wmbjk

Swamps are used for mutating monsters, like this one for example -

Cranberries on the other hand are grown in bogs. The term should be especially easy for someone like you to remember since it's only one letter removed from "blogs". :-)

Wayne

Reply to
wmbjk

did you think of making up a number

Reply to
HaroldA102

Typically a farm doing a milking business has a cream and a silage one also. Each are viable but are profit centers. My Uncle for example. His brother, who lived in a trailer up by the road, (dairy farm of over 100 head) ran the milk trucking business for the local coop as well.

I've seen book stores and fish stores miles out in the fly-over land. Simply serving the local farmers who can't drive to town on a whim.

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn