Etching Aluminium

When I was in school I remember doing a project where we covered a piece of
Aluminium with wax and then made a design in the wax and used acid to etch
it. Does anyone know of a web site where I can get some info on how this is
done as I no longer remember the details.
Thanks
Bill
Reply to
Bill
I am sure the material used to do this was a base, rather than an acid.
Jim
jim rozen
I have used ferric chloride for this as used for copper etc but I would suggest diluting it. Can't say by how much you would have to try some tests. The reaction is fairly vigorous with normal copper etching solutions strength and an old chemistry lecturer said this reaction was in the same category as thermite but not quite as reactive, maybe because of the liquid solution.
Bill wrote:
Reply to
David Billington
You could be right it was a fairly long time ago.
-- Bill52
2003 Vulcan Classic 1500 VROC # 10779 Winnipeg, Canada
Reply to
Bill
Drano, ie Lye, ie Sodium Hydroxide.
Reply to
tomcas
HCL would do the job, so it's possible it was acid. In fact, probably was because lye (sodium hydroxide, if I recall correctly) would also likely dissolve the wax.
Harold
Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos
Have you tried searching for "Chemical milling" or "Chemical machining"?
Reply to
Lurker
I have used ferric chloride. Works fine.
Kevin Gallimore
Reply to
axolotl
HCL does a nice job but leaves a dull finish with some black marks. Have some cold water available in case the HCL wants to boil.
Reply to
Cyrus
When I was in high school (1945 - 1949) metal shop one of the projects was a tray. Some of the kids did it in Al. and they used sulfuric acid to do the etching. (don't know the conc.) I did mine in Cu and used nitric acid. Used some black tarry substance for the resist. Supose that tray is still back home in PA. Will have to check on it next month when I go back for the 55th reunion. :-) ...lew...
Reply to
Lewis Hartswick