Etching Aluminium

When I was in school I remember doing a project where we covered a piece of Aluminium with wax and then made a design in the wax and used acid to etch it. Does anyone know of a web site where I can get some info on how this is done as I no longer remember the details.

Thanks Bill

Reply to
Bill

I am sure the material used to do this was a base, rather than an acid.

Jim

jim rozen

Reply to
David Billington

You could be right it was a fairly long time ago.

-- Bill52

Reply to
Bill

Drano, ie Lye, ie Sodium Hydroxide.

Reply to
tomcas

HCL would do the job, so it's possible it was acid. In fact, probably was because lye (sodium hydroxide, if I recall correctly) would also likely dissolve the wax.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

Have you tried searching for "Chemical milling" or "Chemical machining"?

Reply to
Lurker

I have used ferric chloride. Works fine.

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

HCL does a nice job but leaves a dull finish with some black marks. Have some cold water available in case the HCL wants to boil.

Reply to
Cyrus

When I was in high school (1945 - 1949) metal shop one of the projects was a tray. Some of the kids did it in Al. and they used sulfuric acid to do the etching. (don't know the conc.) I did mine in Cu and used nitric acid. Used some black tarry substance for the resist. Supose that tray is still back home in PA. Will have to check on it next month when I go back for the 55th reunion. :-) ...lew...

Reply to
Lewis Hartswick