Ever get tired of being called a McGyver?

I pulled another one off today, simply making a faucet stem puller out of a piece of 3/8" x 1" FB with a drilled center hole, and two tapped holes. It was to pull a stem on a German faucet that everyone else had given up on and were ready to cut the copper tubing and sweat in a new fixture. (Plus cut out a couple of square feet of tile, concrete WonderBoard, etc, to get at this with a propane torch to sweat on the new one.) Then make the WonderBoard/tile repair.

I was King for a Day.

But really, it's nice to be able to fix stuff, solve problems, save the day, etc.

Oh, my. Timmie has fallen down the well! Again!

I'm off ..............

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Hey Steve, You live anywhere near Yonkers? :)

Hey, I *look* like McGyver!

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

My full name, I think, is "Dave... MacGuyver it!"

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

I've been called both "McGyver" and "Professor" (as in Gilligan's Island, build anything from coconuts and bamboo) many times by many different people. I would imagine this is a common occurrence for most of the folks who frequent this group.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

I got that reputation after fixing a microphone using a nail in a piece of wood as a soldering iron )matches for heat), with a splash of solder scraped off the high schools electronics lab floor.

miker

Reply to
miker

With what sort of flux?

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Borax hand soap, of course.

Yer out of the club...

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

OH, NOOOOO! You have the KNACK! Your life is ruined!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

The guys who said it couldn't be fixed don't usually call me anything NEAR "McGuyver" when the customer tells them it was fixed by whom and how.......

Reply to
*

Heck, they just want to know why it took more than 5 minutes....

Reply to
clutch

Beats some alternatives! Shop I used to work in years ago, there was a guy that was just king shit in the boss's eyes, always got the job done on time no matter what.

What the boss never seemed to notice, was the trail of death and destruction this guy would leave in his wake, damaged or destroyed tooling and machinery. His last name was Kolfer, and it became a verb, as in, to Kolferize something.

McGyver is a very respectable moniker by comparison!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

oooh, very nice. I fixed a production webserver (on horribly obsolete hardware) a couple months back - the circuit board for the hard drive _caught fire_. Backups turned out to have been, um, wups, forgotten about since 2003. The solution involved eBay, "buy it now", sending a tech to drive a couple hours to the west and back, a bit of luck, and a _very_ happy group of people. And then the "OK, don't expect this level of service on a regular basis please..." speech.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Short answer - No

Just don't call me late for dinner

Big Grins

Jim Vrzal Holiday, Fl.

P.S. Worry more when they stop calling. Their up to something expensive.

Steve B wrote:

Reply to
Mawdeeb

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 16:41:39 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Tom Gardner" quickly quoth:

Ruined, HELL! "Working with machines is far superior than having to work with people." quoth Larry the Recluse. Why, just yesterday a woman client tried to help me find Jesus and SAVE me. Machines don't have religion to spew at you and I respect them for that alone.

-- Love the moment, and energy of that moment will spread beyond all boundaries. -- Corita Kent

Reply to
Larry Jaques

"Larry Jaques" wrote

I much prefer working with things than people. Things don't talk all the time.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

The KNACK? see this:

Dan

Reply to
Dan_Thomas_nospam

But she didnt spritz nastly stuff on two axis of your t-shirt.

Unless you got her drunk....

Gunner, who once nailed an attractive door knocker, on his couch. Seems some women take to religion if their sex drives are repressed too much....once you find the key.....WOW...

"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for Western civilization as it commits suicide"

- James Burnham

Reply to
Gunner

And as Nick is likely to post, "They don't keep going OFF TOPIC" :-) ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

Yeah, let's call "..." he can fix anything. And when was the last time anybody paid "..." with anything other than dinner and a handshake?

It's ok once in a while, but you feel like you're being taken advantage of particularly when your "friends" drive Cadillacs and German luxury cars, live in huge houses when you drive a fifteen year old Japanese pickup and rent.

Reply to
bob

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 16:25:04 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner quickly quoth:

Nope, and I don't get 80 y/o women drunk anyway.

What'd you do, bet her that you could have her screaming "Jesus!" within 10 minutes if given the chance?

i can live without the necessities * 2 Tee collections online

Larry Jaques