Tired of Wet Glasses

This may sound silly but it is a serious question. It is very warm here in Houston. I can handle the heat, but I sure am tired of the sweat rolling down onto my glasses. I have tried a variety of sweat bands and the best seems the old bandana. But after about 30 minutes of work in the shop, my glasses are soaked. Contacts aren?t the answer and an air conditioner for the shop isn?t in the budget yet. I have plenty of fans, but with the high humidity the sweat flows. It is a bitch not even being able to distinguish the digits on the DRO. 8^(

Anybody got any good solutions for keeping sweat off the glasses while they are working?

TIA

Jay Cups

Reply to
JayCups

Find a thin, old towel (washed many times) and wrap it around your head. Kind of like a turban.

It works great, for the same reasons why people wear turbans in hot countries.

I do it when I need to work in hot weather or in hot garage, for longer than a sweatband would allow.

Ignoramus16379

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 20:57:46 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, JayCups quickly quoth:

A) Work in an environmentally controlled room. (I love A/C! ;)

2) Use Rain-X on your lenses so they bead and shed drips of sweat better. (This really does work.) You'll still have to clean off the salt residue occasionally, but it does help immensely.

This reminds me to redo my lenses before the next big client task. I get to tear down their old teepee and put up the new one. It's about

16' in diameter and 18' tall.

- Metaphors Be With You -

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Move to an area with low humidity...but I haven't done that either.

In trying many sweatbands, did you try the "sponge" version? Looks a bit silly, soaks up more sweat before you need to change it (or at least wring it out). Otherwise, get more bandannas and change them every 25 minutes or so. Or get some small cold packs and wrap them up in the bandanna before putting it on.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

Kotex. Even comes with the strings. There is one under every Mexican hard hat in DFW.

--Andy Asberry--

------Texas-----

Reply to
Andy Asberry

A sliver of 'Dry Ice' in your headband? ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

None of the welder's caps at the welding supply sexy enough? They do the job just great for me. I also have a "cover" from my days in the service that I wear sometimes, when I can't find the one I'm looking for.

Reply to
Carl McIver

Have you tried one of the anti-perspirant deodorants on your forehead? It may sound silly but it might just work.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Chandler

I had a similiar problem, until I re-adjusted my glasses to be further from my face. It helped a lot. I still have to use a sweatband, the normal sponge types seem to work IF I replace the rubber band with a strap made from the wife's pantyhose leg - I can tie it to be MUCH more comfortable since my head is too big for normal rubber bands ;)

Reply to
Nick Hull

Where i work the temp gets to about 50c in cummber (122f) and sometimes higher inside sheds with steel roofs. Some of the welding supply shops sell a kind of bandana for a few dollars with some type of gel inside it. You're supposed to soak them in water for a while then put them on, but i find this just makes things worse. I soak them in water for a bit, then put them in the freezer, eseentially making a slow release ice block for your head. 2 is enough, they keep you cool for an hour or two, in that time, the one in the freezer is cold enough to do a swap over. Works fantastic, just be sure to give them a wash once a week or they start to get pretty disgusting ;-)

Shaun

Reply to
Shaun Van Poecke

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 22:25:06 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Andy Asberry quickly quoth:

And I thought Hawke said that innovation was dead in America!

- Metaphors Be With You -

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Hi Jay,

Had exactly the same problem. My latest sweat band is the waist tie from an old, heavy (winter) bathrobe. Cut it in half, wear one while the other dries. The material of the tie is very thick and can absorb a lot of water.

Alternative that I haven't tried: wide strip from a heavy towel, folded over once or twice. Add a few stitches to keep it folded if desired.

Hope this helps -- Terry

Reply to
Terry

A light (relatively thin) towel would work better. Do not stitch it, you need to wash it.

Ignoramus21381

I just take one of those farmers'/cowboys' red, blue, or yellow print bandanas, fold it into a triangle and roll it up from the apex to the base. Tie it around my forehead and I'm good to go for quite a while before I have to slip it off, wring it out and put it back on. Place it right and I can even wear it under my welding hood.

Reply to
John Husvar

Anything like this, that gives you a sweat-band to grab the water, and some fabric that's not tight against your head to give a place for evaporation to happen, will work much better than just a sweat-band.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

A wet (damp) towel around your neck will cool the blood going to your head. This may cut down on perspiration. Randy

Reply to
Randy Replogle

Follow the lead of the folks in Southern Arizona, and thereabouts: Start working at "dark early" in the AM.

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger

JayCups wrote in news:46a9511a$0$32516$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

For old bald men like myself, this is a real problem as there is nothing to slow down the sweats travel. While it may not look good, I use a shop towel (about 12"x12") just draped over the head under a cap. Lasts an hour or more before it is soaked to the edges, then just swap it out for a fresh one.

Reply to
Anthony

I have no suggestions that haven't been mentioned, but it brings to mind a similar situation. I worked in an Air Force electronic calibration lab,stateside, in the early seventies. An environmentally controlled atmosphere was required: 72 degrees +/- 1 and Rh

Reply to
stevethompson

Thanks Guys,

There are some good ideas I am going to try. First will be the turban with a neck cooler. The antiperspirant on the head and the bathrobe belt are definitely worth a shot too.

I can take more heat than most folks, but the downside is I sweat like a yard sprinkler.

Jay

JayCups wrote:

Reply to
JayCups