External Snapring for Sieg X3 Quill

If you did something hasty trying to remove the Quill feed pinion and damaged the external snapring holding the quill feed pinion in place (under the coil spring housing), go to your local hardware store for a

5/8" external snapring. Dead on fit in place of a 16mm snapring. My X3 quill now goes up and down smoothly. The coil spring has been adgusted for a more "neutral" effect on the quill. Let go of the quill feed handle and the quill stays there. I hate it when using a mill and the quill snaps back up to fully retracted....
Reply to
Louis Ohland

A few points:

A 5/8" snapring is 15.875mm - close but not dead on 16mm

You're not alone in mashing up the snapring, the original is made of reconstituted butter, the rest of them on the machine are of slightly higher quality - hardened reconstituted butter.

15mm ones don't fit - which is normal when there are a couple of hundred in a box in the workshop :)
Reply to
Mike

I need to replace the one for the X axis leadscrew. That's a damnably hard one to get to.

After experiences with the other reta> >

Reply to
Louis Ohland

The x axis doesn't have one, surely you mean the Y axis?

That is 12mm - no imperial size is really close.

Reply to
Mike