Fabricating with cold rolled

I am going to take some 1/2" and 3/4" cold rolled rod, and basically make it up into a catcher's mask configuration, just bigger. Squares about 2-3" square. I am going to weld it together , then hard face it.

This will certainly change the properties all around. It is going to be used in 40-50 degree F water, and be subject to right around 1,000# of striking force, and 4,000 pulses per second. It could be subject to below freezing temperatures, too, but not used at that time.

What can anyone tell me? Which rod would be the best for joining the rolled bars? I have some hard face rod that a friend of mine who sells mining supplies got for me that is supposed to be the best choice for the conditions described. If I buy some 1/2" flat bar to use in this fabrication, I probably will be able to cut it with my chop saw without too much HAZ. But, then when I weld it together, there will be substantial HAZ.

What would be the best heat treatment? Anything to do particularly right after welding? Let it cool on the bench? Quench? Throw in an oven at a high temp, and slowly cool? I want to keep from cracking mainly.

These will probably be throw away items, that is, when they either break, or wear through, they would be replaced with new rather than fixed by replacement of bars, since the bars would be hard to cut out, and put new short sections in.

Help appreciated.

I'm getting the first prototypes of the gold dredge head ready.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

cold rolled does heat treat, forget all that.

For welding, my goto rod is 7011 stick. Deep penetration. I often switch to 7018 after the first pass to build it up for multiple pass welding. From what you've said, weld failures will be your main issue.

hardfacing is great for the cutting edge, not for structural strength.

karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Depending on what kind of cold rolled you are using - 1010 has a tensile strength of about 50,000 psi; 1020 about 60,000 psi.

I don't believe that you can effectively heat treat 1010 and 1020 is not usually heat treated as it isn't usually considered economical but apparently heating and quenching can get to around 90,000 psi, but I think that is fully hardened and untempered.

Pretty much what the 60xx series rods were designed for :-)

Reply to
John B.

I do not understand why you are using cold rolled. Cold rolled has close tolerances on the size, but you will lose that when you hard face it. Being cheap I would use weldable rebar.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

7011 can be found at any farm and fleet store. It gives DEEP weld penetration, best rod for verticle down welding. Again, after the first pass i switch to a rod that doesn't burn it, 6013 would be about the same as 7014 here. 7011 should be run DC straight (DC-) to avoid over penetration.

I switch to DC reverse on 6013 and 7018 (7014 too)

FWIW, 7014 is my goto rod for burn throughs on plate. Welds well at low power. You can go around the hole, stop just long enough for the weld to cool from cherry red, then repeat.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Read this before you decide on the material:

Pete Stanaitis

Reply to
Pete S