COst of steel at metal suppliers

If I was to buy steel at a metal supplier, in the quantity of a ton or so, how much would it cost per lb? I mean metal such as hot rolled
rounds 1-3 inches thick, 4140, rectangular solid stock etc.
I want to price my 15 tons of steel below market, and I want to know what "market" really is.
thanks

New steel averages $1.10 per pound hear in las vegas. No discount for how many tons you buy. My supplier has a scrap bin you pick that they sell for .50 per pound. They will deliver for free if your order is over $300, they also offer one free cut if your buying full length mill stock typicaly 20-24Ft per piece.
Your gonna have to buy at scrap yard or below prices to make a profit.
Best Regards Tom.
--
http://fija.org/

IU bought it for3 cents per lb

At that price you should be able to make some money.
Got any heavy duty swivel casters?
Best Regards Tom.
--
http://fija.org/

I have some carts on heavy duty casters. About five of them.

Just need casters for a project.
Best Regards Tom.

er

ck

> At that price you should be able to make some money.
The way you can make serious money at steel buying is to gamble at buying futures. Get a loan and tell your supplier that you will pay $2000 dollars today for as much steel as you can get for that price to be delivered next month and hope he adds a few more pounds because you are buying in bulk. If the price has gone up in that next month, you will have already paid $2000 today so you will then be getting more for the old price.
On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 12:57:26 -0800 (PST), Transition Zone

For $2,000 why bother. Just order $2,000 worth of steel and have it dropped off over in the corner of the lot. You now own $2,000 worth of steel at today's price.
--
Cheers,

John B.

And what if the price has gone down?
And how do you make a profit from buying retail product at retail price?
On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 20:28:15 -0600, Ignoramus2110

I was being sarcastic as the original poster apparently knows little about the futures market and how it functions.
But wholesale or retail you make a profit the same way - buy cheap and sell dear.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Yep, really no clue.

I am just saying, if you buy retail, there is not much money to be made further. i
On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 00:02:22 -0600, Ignoramus2110

Unless, or course you can find someone to pay more than retail :-)
And before you say "Impossible!" have a look at Starbucks.
--
Cheers,

John B.
On Sat, 09 Feb 2013 14:22:44 -0600, Ignoramus19809

Call your local suppliers with a list of your materials and ask them what they charge for each type.
Its hardly rocket science.
Gunner
On 2/9/2013 3:22 PM, Ignoramus19809 wrote:

Yarde Metals also sells drops and surplus material. They offer certs and if the order is large enough, delivery. They have prices on line.
http://www.yarde.com/index.html
Kevin Gallimore

Looks like they want almost 2 dollArs per lb
On 2/9/2013 10:35 PM, Ignoramus19809 wrote:

Lots of centers around here sell for a lot less and a lot more depending on the item. Each service center specializes in different stuff, they aren't competitive across the board. What was quoted $2/lb? Any D-2?
Tom Gardner wrote:

Are you trying to build a R2 droid?

You are silly! I always have parts to make out of tool steel and try to keep a good stock of sizes.
Tom Gardner wrote:

Silly? Droids don't join unions!

Unless you give them a coat of paint!