COst of steel at metal suppliers

sets the price of steel in the U.S.,

Which you can't do unless a price is set ... in both countries. Now. You think I'm lying? Just go and buy a ton or more of steel overseas at below that price and watch what happens.

Reply to
Transition Zone

Should be about $148 to ship to location with forklift.

Or free pick-up from me.

I am not sure if I can cut O-1, I have a 12 inch bandsaw.

Ignoramus2009

Cutting torch will do it. Just cut it a couple of inches longer then tom can trim off the heat affected zone in his saw.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

Sure! It cuts like CR when soft. D-2 cuts OK too when soft. The O-1 I heat-treat in house but the D-2 has to be sent out.

Did you once say you think you had some D-2 round? I need 8-1/4" or so round to make 1" thick blades with a 4" bore...I used to get hollow bar but not too many centers can get it anymore.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

OH GOD NO!!! NEVER torch it, you loose too much. It cuts like CR when soft. I cut it almost every day. But, it's a good thought.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I don't think it NEEDS to be cut shorter. do you? I just thought you would band it on a skid. I figure about 25 lbs for the skid. My freight guy is waiting for a call-back from FedEx freight, our favorite carrier. OBTW, how do you know it's O-1?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I would not torch it either.

Ignoramus2009

I would say, get the whole thing then.

I thought it was D-2, but it turned out to be 4140 instead. I have a few more large rounds to look at though.

Ignoramus2009

I do not need to cut it for shipping, no.

It has written "Northern Illinois Steel O-1 tool steel" on the side.

The seller had no incentive to lie about it, as I bought all his 15 tons of steel for just $1k.

Ignoramus2009

the price of steel in the U.S.,

--

Sorry, it doesn't work that way.

Dumping is difficult to prove as it requires the proof of sales prices in the country of origin, which isn't set officially, but a matter of market forces. If you don't believe me then get the actual trial records (public records) and look at the proof provided in support of the charges. It consists of reams and reams of quotations and sales documents that provide an "average" price that the material was sold at, in the originating country, usually over a long period of time. In addition the same thing is done in the country of sales, for the same purpose, to prove an average sales price.

If you don't believe that steel prices are market driven go and price a 4' x 8' piece of 1/4" plate and then get a price on 500 tons of the same material.

Reply to
John B.

What finish is on the surfaces? Are 4 sides mill surfaces? In other words, are four sides true and smooth?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Yes, all four sides look true and smooth to me. They have some storage rust however.

Ignoramus14940

I got our engineers (all three) together and discussed your O-1. It's a good deal, about a third of what it would cost locally and payback would take less than a year. The problem we see is the 3" dimension. Almost all dies we would make would have a max thickness of 1-1/2" and with our saw it would be tough to cut parts width-wise then machine or grind flat. I hate to pass on it but if you ever decide to cut it into 12" pieces let me know. Any other sizes of O-1 or D-2?

Reply to
Tom Gardner