cost of junk metal

I'm giving serious consideration to taking up gas welding/brazing to try my hand at metal sculpturing. Today I called a local welding
supply and the last question I asked was where would someone like me get metal to practice welding. I then popped by the suggested place and found out they offer both old and new metal. I asked about how old metal is priced. The guy told me by the pound with a cost of $.30/ lb. I live about 50 south of Indianapolis. How does this sound for the price of old metal? Was I being sized up for extra bucks or does that sound reasonable.
Thank much.
Have a Great Day, Jim
Jim wrote:

For years and years around here scrap & yard steel was 25 cents a pound. Now it's a bit more. I don't think 30 cents is unreasonable at all.
Grant
Jim wrote:

That's $600/ton. This site, http://demolitionscrapmetalnews.com/?page_id  lists #2 scrap steel at $280/ton for less than truck load, for an approx 100% markup.
I'd suggest posting an ad on your local Craigslist and see if you can't scrounge up some free scrap metal. Never know too, might find that someone's 'scrap metal' is a treasure to you!
Jon

I took an old radiator to a recycler here. I looked around, and he had some stainless tubing, from quarter inch to half inch diameter. About a dozen lengths of six to ten feet. He said $.90 per pound. There was ten pounds of it. Then he said he'd trade straight across for the radiator. I think I will do okay with this guy. Told him to set aside square tubing for me, and call me on I beams and heavier square. He said he'd sell it for a dime a pound, which sounded low to me. We'll see.
Steve
SteveB wrote:

Sounds like you have found a good resource!
Jon

Now, I just hope he gets some tubing and I beams. We do advertising for him, and I did a couple of favors that didn't cost me or the company anything, but did get him a better ad. I think he'll be a good source just on that.
Steve
On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 20:42:59 -0700 (PDT), Jim

sounds damned good. Im paying .60 for steel shapes here in California
"Obama, raises taxes and kills babies. Sarah Palin - raises babies and kills taxes." Pyotr Flipivich
When you talk about 'junk' metal, you could be looking at several different things: My local yard sells prime hot rolled products for one price, seconds for a different price, and scrap for a different price. Prime is the good stuff, expect minimal rust, no dings, full lengths.
Seconds are decent stock but might have excess rust (over prime), short, a bend or dings, etc. Great stock for hobbyist projects, practice pieces, etc. My yard prices this at about 1/2 of prime, my last trip was $.45 a pound.
Scrap is just that:scrap form others. priced at what ever the yard can get. Clean scrap is a around a couple hundred dollars per ton or about $.10 per pound. If your yard is selling you odds and ends in small quantities, and letting you pick at it, $.20 a pound is a a great price.