Fastest way to remove rust and paint from flat steel surface/

Sounds noisy as hell too.

Does dropping the air pressure help?

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

I can't help you with this, but I'd strongly recommend checking the inside of the tank for rust as well. I don't have any idea what you'd do if there is any, maybe fill the tank with Naval Jelly, drop in some BBs, and shake it?

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Never tried it that way. Carbide grit on the end of the teeth would probably help.

Reply to
ATP*

I built a simple tumbler to tumble my welder gas tank. I built it out of a unit that turns the rotisserie on a bbq. Total cost for motor $1, and some spare tubing and steel. It worked great with some sand and bb's and marbles.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Guy next door couldn't hear his Harley start.

It helped tell me I needed a bigger compressor.

They do about the same job as a weldor's chipping hammer, but faster. I think an air hammer with an angled chisel bit might be better on thinner painted metal.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

'course, Iggy hasn't told us how many hundred gallons the tank is, yet :-)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Exactly 100 gallons. 24x24x48 inches tank on legs.

Ignoramus12283

On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 14:49:01 -0600, the infamous Ignoramus22753 scrawled the following:

Yeah, flap disks on your 4-1/2" angle grinder work well, but strip it first, eh? Don't make a sander take paint off if you can help it. A good knot brush ought to work fairly quickly, too, after stripping.

What final finish will go on the tank? That may determine your best cleanup method.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 23:29:22 +0000, the infamous Mark Rand scrawled the following:

Didn't he just say he wanted to transport a 200-or-sumpin' gallon tank and ask about weights and slosh factors?

-- Every day above ground is a Good Day(tm). -----------

Reply to
Larry Jaques