Fillet weld strength testing

I'll pick up some 6011 next week and let you know how it goes. I'm reluctant to try the 7018 as those few I had were literally impossible to use, and I hadn't ever got them wet. They'd been dry in the house for

8 or 9 years. Hopefully 6011 will just give me a little extra penetration on those fillet welds, and I can save the 6013 for sheet metal.

By the way, do any of you guys in the States use the simple oil-cooled welding transformers? When I was thinking about buying a welder I was looking at the air-cooled AC buzzboxes which Machine Mart sell here in the UK, and a wise old engineer (who sadly died recently) told me not to. He said that for a bit more I could get a second hand oil-cooled machine which would be a lot more robust, do 100% duty cycle and hold its value better. I got one and have always been very happy with it. I've not heard anyone here talking about them. Do you get them on your side of the Atlantic? Just curious...

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

OK Martin, you made me go look.

Christopher, look at the recommended open times from hermetically sealed. When I say hygroscopic, I mean they'll pick up enough water from your house to be a problem pretty quickly. Gunner may get away with longer because he lives in the high desert.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

That is good information - a bit odd - per this or that spec. and only those two. Hum.

Since I moved, so many of my documents or notes have found a place - but just where. The computer is here - the mind isn't.

I think the 5 audits on year 2005 by the IRS in the last 6 months has just about burned my short and some long memory.

Pete Keillor wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn