Filter Separator Quick Fix

I've got a filter separator on each side of my air dryer. I figure if I can get some out before it hits the dryer I its good for the dryer, and the one after is so I can check to make sure the dryer is doing its job.

The dryer does automatically open a float valve to blow out moisture if it fills up, but my daily routine is to shut off the air valve from the compressor and drain the distribution lines ever day at the end of the day. The water trap in the dryer opens under low pressure and blows out any and all water. It works fairly well. Since I routed the drain line so it doesn't have a trapping affect and drains into a plastic coffee can the water trap hasn't needed to be cleaned as often this way. The last time I opened it up all I had to do was wipe out the bowl.

Anyway, as part of my shut down I open the drain valve on the lead separator. Its a plastic screw plug thing. The one on the downstream side is just spring loaded. Anyway, a couple times I have screwed it out a hair to far and the parts just took off. This morning I had the same thing happen again, only I didn't find all the pieces this time. Oops.

Then I thought to myself, "Screw this. I want a decent valve on the bottom of that bowl. Maybe a nice little ball valve." At first I thought about drilling and tapping the inside of the plastic bit, but then I checked a 3/8 ball valve I have several of for making machine coolant assemblies. It screwed right on. The plastic "thing" on the bottom of the bowl was a straight thread and of course the valve has an NPT thread so I knew it would leak. I snapped an o-ring over the threads, screwed the valve on snug by hand, and put the bowl back in place. No leak. Dead simple solution. Sure the o-ring will fail eventually, but its dead simple to replace it when it does.

Now I have a nice easy open ball valve on the bottom of the separator bowl. Should be able to blow it clean in half the time now too without a plug obstructing the hole.

I know. I know. Stupid, easy, anybody could do it, but sometimes I am as pleased with solving a simple problem quickly and easily like that as I am with solving a difficult design and machining problem.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

very nice, this is how people make life nice for themselves. Congrats.

I have a automatic drain on the bottom of the compressor tank, in addition to the air dryer downstream. Dry air is very nice.

Ignoramus31950

On 4/8/2018 7:01 AM, Ignoramus31950 wrote: > very nice, this is how people make life nice for themselves. Congrats. > > I have a automatic drain on the bottom of the compressor tank, in > addition to the air dryer downstream. Dry air is very nice. > > i

I ran an air actuated auto drain on my compressor for a while, but it didn't seem to cycle long enough to do the job. The valve is still on the bottom of the tank, but I disconnected the air line to it a long time ago. I just use a ball valve on the end of a long nipple T-ed in above the auto valve and drain the tank moisture every morning as part of my power up routine for the shop. I installed that at the same time as the auto drain so I could check it.

In retrospect an air reservoir added into the air line might have caused it to stay open a little longer. Not going to play with it though. If I ever active an auto drain on it again I'll make up an electric one with an adjustable timer. Altronix 6062 or 724 timer board, power supply, electric valve. Maybe even as simple as a plug in light timer. I have them on the shelf still from my communications contracting company.

FYI: That Harbor Freight air dryer was installed in March 2016 and its still doing a good job. Only time it ever failed is either when I failed to turn it on, or a main distribution line blew out a fitting and it was more air than the dryer could handle. It gets turned on every work day. Its not a part time tool. I have considered increasing the line size from the compressor and T-ing in a second one to increase capacity.

Reply to
Bob La Londe