Finishing Aluminum

Okay - I need some advice here. I have aluminum parts that are too big to go into a toumbeler but that I still need to get a good shiny finish on. My first question is around the sanding of aluminum. I would like to get some thoughts on what RPM, Grit, and tool to use on taking a potentially rough finish down to polish-ready.

I was thinking of starting with a 200 grit and working up from there until I hit an 800. The problem is what tool do I use. I have an air compressor in the shop so I was thinking a 2500 rpm polisher with some sanding discs would work well. The sanders in the catalogues seeem to all be very high rpm (8,000 plus) and I thought that would be too high. They do have velcro pads though which I thought woudl be better for the job and are random orbital's. Is having a sanding disc that is hole mounted good or bad?

When it gets to the polishing i'm fine with that but the finishing on the sanding has to be good. as I will be polishing it and bright anodising it.

Thanks.

Reply to
James Varga

Sorry I should have posted more info :(

The parts for all intents and purposes are flat box's. There are some groves, holes, etc. but these are fine unpolished.

There are to be a range of finshes from bead blasted through to bright anodised so this is for the bright anodised options. I have some rouge and other composit polishes so that stuff is all sorted.

What I guess I'm really asking is wether something like this:

... or ...

is better. I would like to combine (at least initially) the sanding with the polishing tool if possible so I don't have to buy both.

This is the clark version of a polisher...

I'm a little lost as to what to focus on.

Please let me know what other info is needed here ;)

THanks,

Reply to
James Varga

You'd do well to somewhat describe your part(s). Round? Square? Full of holes? Any projections that need protecting?

Can't imagine you'll get much useable advice otherwise.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos