Fire-safe low power space heater?

I would like to find/make etc a space heater, I would say 200 watts, that would be completely fire safe (say, I could surround it with paper and it still would not start a fire). How would I accomplish this?

Ignoramus12853

Buy a GoldenRod (it's a brand name - there may be generics) piano dehumidification and/or winter storage at summer homes heater, or at least that's what I've typically seen them used for.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

IC (insulated ceiling rated) recessed light fixture(s). Inexpensive, thermostatically protected, rated for insulation contact with the housing, etc. Just look at the lamp ratings and if the limit is lower than you want, use two of them.

Reply to
Pete C.

You could surround it with bricks such as thermal storage heaters are built. I wouldn't say they are completely safe but I have had paper and cloth on top of mine and never gave it a thought. Steve

Reply to
Up North

A friend of mine makes bird incubators for his bird club (and others.) He buys the long, 1" diameter, squirrelcage style of fan with heating elements attached. We saw the distributor at WESTPAK a decade ago; I've forgotten the supplier name.

Sumpin like this:

-- Ask not what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive... then go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive. -- Howard Thurman

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Oil heaters. Not the ones that burn oil, the electric ones that look like the old steam radiators. They have oil sealed inside and a heating element in the bottom.

Or 2 100 watt light bulbs in a metal box.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

I would call it a light bulb. Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

A silicone heat pad operated at low power density would do it. For example, this one run on reduced voltage:

Or see the bottom of McMaster p. 511.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Make sure its output temp. can never exceed, say, 160°F. Or pick any number; paper flashes at 451°F, at least according to Ray Bradbury. ;-)

When it's 55°F outside, I'd be happy with air heated to 80°F, but 120°F will get the chill off faster. And a hot toddy can really enhance the warming effect. ;-)

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Raychem makes heating cable that will go to 150F and stay there--no thermostat, the temperature control is inherent in the material of the cable (the way they do it is kind of neat). Their "Gardian" brand roof deicing cable puts out 8 watts/foot and costs about 4 bucks a foot-- google "Gardian W51" and you'll find some suppliers.

Reply to
J. Clarke