help - Brinks 5055 fire safe

I have a seldom used 5055 safe that does not open with the key anymore. How do I get this open?

Reply to
Ron

What happens when you turn the key? If the key turns partway but the safe does not open, it _MAY_ just be that the mechanism is sticking or something has gotten wedged in the door -- in which case it can probably be carefully jarred/shaken free. Try redialing the combination; try dialing variants of it with one or more of the numbers a digit higher or lower than usual in case something slipped in to combo section.

If the key doesn't turn at all, it may be a stuck mechanism... or a worn key -- or a more serious malfunction. Try wiggling the key in and out a bit; that sometimes compensates for worn keys.

If those don't help, call in a pro. This is not a highly sophisticated safe, so it shouldn't set you back too much to get it opened. But by definition, a safe's purpose is to keep people out, and if it's decided to keep you out, well... if it was easy to defeat you wouldn't be happy either.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman (yclept Keshlam

You have a disposable safe. The price should have given you a clue. Now you are probably looking at more to open it than it cost to buy it new.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

It's a fire safe. Not everyone who needs fire protection for things needs to invest in a trtl30.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

Please be more specific. What happens when you try to open it with the key? Are you dialing the correct combination? Are you sure? Does the key lock turn at all? How far? Your problem could be as simple as a worn key/lock, although if the unit is seldom used maybe not. If it's not bolted down take it to a locksmith near you who does safework.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

Plenty of cheap fire boxes out there that are not as junky as the Brinks.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Your opinion of the Brinks is noted. That said you could have easily given the poster some helpful information instead of just insulting his firebox. Also with regard to your original statement it really shouldn't cost much to open if he brings it in, which of course assumes it isn't bolted.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

Point one. It is bad form to give defeating instructions.

Point two. An insulated filing container is an inanimate object, therefore not subject to insult.

Also

What is your minimum charge to open a safe?

At our shop it would be more than the Brinks cost new, which would not be much as these things are cheap pieces of junk.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

I think you know I agree with you on that. However you need not give him defeating instuctions to try to assist him. Simply telling him to attempt to manipulate the key while turning or to make certain he was using the right combo and if that failed to take the container (if unbolted) to a safe tech would have been alot more helpful than what you gave him.

lol I'm not sure that means you can't insult it. It does mean that your insult isn't likely to elicit a response.

No real minimum. I charge by the hour for opening and repair and of course for consumables, parts, and initial service (some people would say trip) charge if they don't bring it in. After hours or weekends is double. For a real safe I would say that in practice the minimum cost would be around 250.00 - 300.00. As you pointed out however this box is a safe in name only. If he brought it in I would imagine a total charge in the 50.00 - 100.00 range. Depending on what's wrong with it, and the extent of the repair job he wants. If repair was not cost effective I would so advise and attempt to sell something else. If this box is in your books you can see that there is not much to it.

I don't know exactly what they go for. From the ones I've seen in the 100.00 -

150.00 range I would guess. Even if the charge to open were double it's value he probably still needs to get in for sake of the contents. My central point is that there wasn't really any helpful component to your post, which is afterall the point of a forum like this, assuming of course the poster isn't trolling or simply asking something assinine.
Reply to
Putyourspamhere

You don't drive an Alfa Romeo, do you ?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

An Alfa Romeo? Why would I drive one of those? That is just a Fiat on steroids with more expensive parts.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

The key turns approx 1/2 way (either of the 2 keys). Do not have the combo so thats not an option. Its not bolted down and since I don't remember what is inside off the the locksmith I go.

Thanks for the responses - made for entertaining reading.

Reply to
Ron

AFAIK That box is combo and key locking. W/o the combo it isn't going to open unless the combo locking function has been disabled that is.

Good idea.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere