fireplace backplate material

I intended to create my own backplate for a fireplace,
and - as I was thinking about etching it - I am investigating on the
most suited materials:
so far I saw mentioned just iron, but I would be more confortable with
bronze: it can be used? Any other materials are possible?
thanks!
Alessandro Magni
Reply to
alexxx.magni
A hot fire in the fireplace will cause the bronze to warp and slump, if it is meant to be in contact or near the flame. Iron is a much better choice as it holds up much better at the temperatures around the firebox.
Bronze would be quite suitable for outside of the firebox area, however, and would look very nice as a complement to an iron inner works.
If you have the capability to make patterns, but not the capability to cast the iron, you may still be able to find a foundry that will cast your parts.
Cheers Trevor Jones
Reply to
Trevor Jones
I think the issue is backplate - what do you mean - the one on the wall ? and the wood stove sits 24" from it ?
Can you describe it so we are sure.
I have used a high quality very expensive wood stove for 17 years before moving. I melted 3/8" thick steel in the fire box. Hot fire to many times...
Rebuilt the stove 6 months before we moved - just like new. Bricks and internals. The external steel was not overheated.
We boiled water in a dragon - on the wood stove - put moisture in a dry room.
But the temp was never so hot to melt metal on the top or sides.
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot"s Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:
Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn
I used the term "backplate" (sorry if it's wrong, I'm not english) to speak about the plate directly against the fire - and it's not a stove, it's an open fireplace, in corner configuration.
Anyway, what I probably didnt explain well was that I want to put the iron backplate another metal plate, the one I want to etch.
You're of course correct that in this way I probably melt metals as bronze, so I menaged to get an iron plate, 7mm thick. That's what I'll try to etch.
thanks!
Alessandro
Martin H. Eastburn ha scritto:
> I think the issue is backplate - what do you mean - the one on the wall ? > and the wood stove sits 24" from it ? > > Can you describe it so we are sure. > > I have used a high quality very expensive wood stove for 17 years before moving. > I melted 3/8" thick steel in the fire box. Hot fire to many times... > > Rebuilt the stove 6 months before we moved - just like new. Bricks and internals. > The external steel was not overheated. > > We boiled water in a dragon - on the wood stove - put moisture in a dry room. > > But the temp was never so hot to melt metal on the top or sides. > > Martin > > > Martin H. Eastburn > @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net > TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot"s Medal. > NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder > IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. >
> > snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: > > I intended to create my own backplate for a fireplace, > > and - as I was thinking about etching it - I am investigating on the > > most suited materials: > > so far I saw mentioned just iron, but I would be more confortable with > > bronze: it can be used? Any other materials are possible? > > > > thanks! > > > > Alessandro Magni > > > >
Reply to
alexxx.magni